Online arb qualifications

Cloud9climber

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great, I haven't seen the isa one before. Been looking at it, is it American? I have seen you can buy the audio cd but you can also get a book too I think it's around 135 dollars which is 70 quid maybe? Has anyone ever done this qual? If there additional costs when booking the exams etc?

I'm really stuck between 2 mins p, the rfs looks great however just think it will be too much stress, I don't cope well with been pressured, and coursework, would much rather do the exams.

I just want it for the future, when I'm too old to climb i can fall back on something just to say I have it really.

Any more advice greatly appreciated as I feel my brain about to explode haha

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

You can get a uk version of the study guide or at least you could at one time. I did it in 2002. Its ok and you can always build on it. There are additional fees for the exam.

If you're wanting to advance your career yet are struggling with time due to a hectic 40 hour week, id say don't bother. Look into another career.

Bit harsh but he is right. I do a 40 hour week then spend 15 hours a week on my L6. I also have an 18 month old. Hard work but the only way to progress. Go for it. :thumbup:

Not meant to be offensive, but to put it in prospective, I probably spend around 70-80 hours a week "working".

If you're doing a 8-5 job and cant fit anything else in your life, there's no need to try and advance it. You will be expected to do more hours if you get a job your quals support.

Not meant to be offensive, but to put it in prospective, I probably spend around 70-80 hours a week "working".

If you're doing a 8-5 job and cant fit anything else in your life, there's no need to try and advance it. You will be expected to do more hours if you get a job your quals support.

Not offensive at all mate, not what I meant. You made a very good point. You get out what you put in. I agree with your comments. I've been off the tools for ten years now and I've just started working Saturdays again to set up my own business. More work at the moment but worth it in the long run I hope. :thumbup1:

It's a long haul for sure, and more than a job is what I meant. Not directed at you or anyone particular.

Funny how things have changed over the years also, just 20 years or so ago, there were a few basic tickets to prove you'd had some level of training, now we have a huge infrastructure that's telling school leavers they need these higher level quals. I maybe old school, but I'd still prefer to see someone prove themselves in the field rather than show me their bits of paper.:thumbup1:

I agree. I spent 15 years as a freelance climber dismantling Lombardy pops on a drum brake for local tree surgeons that lacked the cahoonas! loved every minute of it. Only came off due to back injury. I wanted to stay in arb so I did some quals and they just built up over time. You can spot the TO's who came straight out of college a mile off. TPO officer told me once the he wanted me to drop crotch the cuts on a 50% height reduction on some limes. I asked him to come up and show me how that could be done. He didn't accept the invitation.

I get the sentiment here, but it seems that the value of qualifications are being mis-understood.

If you want to run a saw your whole working life - get L2/L3 etc. and a lot of working knowledge and you will do well.

If you want to be in supervisory or run teams, get experience on the saw and up to about L5 and you will have practical skills and knowledge to run the teams.

If you want anything more ie management, planning or higher, then you go for L6 or more. Too many people roll out the old argument that because someone is fresh out of college then they dont know anything. The real problem is, they pursue a L6 and dont do well at it, and end up in a supervisory job because of their qualification when they really only want to be buzzing a saw on the grafting team. When this happens, they end up with not enough knowledge and too little experience to be useful to anyone. I've seen this happen many times.

The real issue is, too many folk are told to exceed their expectations without really understanding what they are getting into. The educational system is set to intentionally push you to the next level, which may be beyond your individual limits, but if you pass the previous level you are entitled to keep going without anyone being able to say otherwise. It seems in the UK we are not able to tell people when they have reached their limit and so you get the situation where the college leavers dont know anything - because they have gone beyond their real individual limit!

I believe in education, but I also believe in telling people when to call it a day.