Online arb qualifications

Cloud9climber

The Rfs is mainly based around soils and basic biology for whoever posted the 1st question you won't have a problem self studying as long as you do it 2hrs a night if that even an hr would be fine.

L2 isn't hard I think it jumps up at L3 however you can go from a L2 to L4.

You won't get a huge amount of tutor support on an Rfs L2 part time course but you won't need it the internet will help with any q's you should have or here!

From what I've researched that I'm looking to start this sept is the tech cert L3 its a day a week and requires a lot more dedication than the L2 but is more recognised if looking to go into consultancy or junior tree officer position.

Tech cert does not exist anymore its been replaced by the L4. You can do an academic L3 such as national diploma but in my opinion they are nowhere near as good. Go L4 if you want to be TO or consultant. I did ND and tech cert and have just finished L6. Great courses TC and L6.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After looking at the qualifications framework (Scotland and England have different levels, 8 and 5 for my HND Horticulture) I take it the ABC rfs L2 is going to be a doddle for me personally.

Is it worth me doing ABC rfs L2 course as basic knowledge for a slightly different discipline or should I aim higher from the outset. I skipped all the basic courses for Horticulture as I had previously studied HND computer programming so passed all the entry requirements. Top of the class with distinctions and prizes so it didn't hinder me. Always easier when you have an interest in the subject.IMO

It would need to be online which therein lies the problem.

Depends what you want to do. L2 = tree surgeon, junior TO at a push. L4 is junior TO or tree surveyor. L6 = senior TO or consultant. You can go on from L6 to do chartered Arb, expert witness, and AA reg consultant or switch to academic and do a masters.

I'd like to hear from someone that's done the L4, sorry for hi jacking your post. I'm concerned that the jump from L2 to L4 is to great. Though surely I can't be expected to know all the units covered I'm there to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

L4 is the next step from L2 in the professional qualifications so not to big. Go for it. :thumbup:

Yeah your right Ill seriously consider it. I'm only 23 close to 8 years experience. I like the look of the ISA Cert also.

I did my NC arb when I was 23. Its a good age to start. I did NC hort when I was 18 and just messed about.

Yeah your right Ill seriously consider it. I'm only 23 close to 8 years experience. I like the look of the ISA Cert also.

ISA wont move you on from L2 and wont set you up for surveying work. I' done that as well. L4 will. If you want to get into surveying you should also look at the Lantra PTI. Good course and only 3days. You need minimum L3 arb to access though.

ISA wont move you on from L2 and wont set you up for surveying work. I' done that as well. L4 will. If you want to get into surveying you should also look at the Lantra PTI. Good course and only 3days. You need minimum L3 arb to access though.

They say you need a minimum of a level 3 qualification to do the PTI but when I done it with Guy Watson through the AA, half of the candidates didn't.

They say you need a minimum of a level 3 qualification to do the PTI but when I done it with Guy Watson through the AA, half of the candidates didn't.

Yes I know its a recommendation. They can't teach all you need to know in 3 days so you need the under pinning stuff to get the best out of it. I heard recently that there are a lot of L3 foresters failing it as they dont have the correct underpinning knowledge. Trees are trees apparently!!! Makes you wonder how many of those without L3 passed.

When I started my second year of L6 there was a lad who had come straight from L2 against the advice of the tutor. He was like a rabbit in the headlights. Switched to L4 after one session. Building up the layers is key in education.

Thanks Chris that makes it a lot clearer for me. Really don't see myself L6 and beyond as I don't have the time off work or motivation to go into that line of work.

Never say never mate. I was still on the tools when I did the old tech cert but quickly got a love for the advisory side. Tree climbing is a young mans game. There are days when I miss it but when its 80 degrees or raining I cope. :lol: if you have any further questions feel free to ask. Good luck. :thumbup: