Two ropes for SRWP?

I'm so opposed to 2 ropes in a tree. Why are we suddenly considering it because of srtwp? Why is 1 rope suddenly deemed dangerous? I think it's crazy

I agree Drew but just wondered why some people are using it.

I never cut anywhere near my rope so it doesn't matter if I'm hanging from 1 or 9 ropes.

Is there something in it that we are unaware of?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you opposed to two ropes in a tree. every training I've ever been to says you must be tied in twice while cutting AND you should have an access line installed. No climber I know does either although they all say they do. My ropes are sometimes parallel and sometimes divergent. The amount of rope I have to tend and deal with is exactly equal to what I used to have to deal with ddrt. One of the best features of climbing with two ropes is to not have to unweight myself from my line to pass through redirects. My access to the canopy is greater. I am definitely slower although my ascent is faster by far. Which is pretty fast because I was clocked at 12 seconds for 50 feet SRT. I think I could do 100 feet sub 20 DRT but I haven't tried. Now I'm just talking ****. I can also do back flips and front flips DRT which is not very usefull but it makes it funner than SRT. I have found alternating redirects a very good technique. It means each rope passes through half the redirects. To me, it feels good. I still SRT quite a bit, I'll drop one line when my lanyard will work well but for the most part I approach every tree with two ropes and two anchors.

I don't think SRT is dangerous. Although going from drt back to SRT feels sketchy when I do. Very exposed. I am not calling for regulation changes. I feel the regulations as they are pretty much mandate two ropes as it is. But ddrt definitely sucks drt so it's never been done. I honestly beleive I am faster drt than I would be SRT if I made sure I was effectively tied in twice while using sharp tools. I also like being able to diversify my anchor points. I have found myself going for the higher redirect and having the other line back me up on a more solid redirect, this give me confidence to get way out there. Never having to unweight the system while moving through the canopy is a great plus that I quickly miss when I go SRT.

I'm so opposed to 2 ropes in a tree. Why are we suddenly considering it because of srtwp? Why is 1 rope suddenly deemed dangerous? I think it's crazy

I think one rope while using sharp tools has ALWAYS been considered dangerous. Rope access guys can't beleive how fixated arborists are to WORKING on a single line. That's the key. It's work we are talking about where speed is a distant second to safety. And no job is important enough to take chances. Cut lines and unclipped carabiners are a very common way that people die in our business. I personally know three people who have changed their lives forever by cutting their single line. Another fact that horrifies rope access guys who rarely see death in their industry.

Another interesting thing to me hanging out with SPRAT guys is how they regard our fixation with triple and quadruple locking biners and complete intolerance for loose carabiner etc. They seem to regard this as kin to superstition. The fact is SRT climbers have only one system so they make all kinds of weird rules regarding its use like " the holes on pulleys can't be bigger than the gate on a carabiner." And now we are seeing quadruple locking carabiners! That to me is crazy. The answer to me is simple. Two systems. One fails you got another one to go.

Edited by kevin bingham

Well never agree on this bro and that's cool. I tie in twice when cutting most of the time when I deem it necessary and it's my fault if I don't install an access line. If. I climbed on 2 ropes I'd still need an acces line and taking 3 ropes to the tree is definetly not going to happen. Let's just all climb safe, using whatever system we prefer:)

Absolutely. I still don't know how I feel about DRT. For some reason though, it's ticking a lot of boxes as for what I want out of my day at work. It's definitely not easy and it's a mind twister if there ever was one. That might be why I'm digging it. My challenge to my self was to be tied in twice 100% while making cuts. What's the easiest way to do that. Dismantling a Spruce tree for example. Two lines, no lanyard slash away. Which is honestly what I would do SRT too. Seriously? buck in every time you go to make a cut? I just want to slash.

Kevin, your emphasis seems to be on tying in twice whilst cutting.

Well by climbing on 1 rope and clipping my lanyard I am therefore tied in twice. If I cut one or a biner fails I'm still tied in.

Surely that saves the complexities of two ropes?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app.