Clogging techniques

Cloud9climber

So I have got a very large cedar to do next week! I have done big trees in the past but never had to clog anything down on the pulley before really so I'm not that confident doing it. Any tips would be great!

Also is it wise to double wrap my strop when chogging down?

I also climb on a spider jack, on a pole I usually choke my mainline off and come down you could say single rope, is this safe on a sj?

Thanks

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Double wrapping is a pain unless you need to do it. Use a pulley saver or similar for your main line. Your sj is not designed for single line descent.

If the trunk doesn't need to be lowered just free fall the rings, leave a brash cushion. It's quicker, easier and often safer than neg-rigging.

If you must rig it, ensure good positioning, and when you're about to push the lump off, make sure you're on the opposite side of the stem, so your feet aren't in the firing line if your groundie doesn't let the piece run!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Listen to Joe!

If your own a big fat stem, say 3-4 feet or more . Don't try and push off a big ring horizontally, slice away at about 10-15 degrees from vertical , when the cut starts to close power through or have a little wedge in a string to put in it( never needed to personally) then the slice falls away in the direction you have chosen, it also falls and lands on its edge, not tumbling down picking up momentum.

Forget your spider jack, get a friction hitch on there.

I've never rigged a slice in 16 years doing this job.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

take a picture, dig out the flowers if possible. chunk down into space you have made and then clean up and replant.

failing that get the rigging kit out. tbh, I prefer rigging stems to chunking them in poker chips. I find it easier on the body and make less mess to the drive/patio/putting green etc.

spider jack is fine mate , its not an issue.

they are not designed for single line decent but if your moving a few meters it shouldn't be a problem.

the best way would be as as said before to either use a cambium saver or to put some more friction in the system via 8 or wrench etc.

I don't mind rigging big bits and once you get used to it and find little tricks to speed up setup it can be faster and less tiring.

Great thanks for the advice, and wise words!

The tree is in a horrible spot, greenhouse underneath, and the guy is very precious about his flowers, been there before and that's all he was bothered about!

Actually looking forward to it, should be a good challenge.

Just what I wanted to hear about spider jack, I have always wondered but like

You say it's not far so should be ok!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App