wood pigeons

Silverwood

Or just leave it on. Amusing to watch a flock jump two feet and carry on as normal after a bang:001_smile:

I don't bother shooting nowadays...just work my dog. I'm not even convinced they do much damage to rape. Even after grazing a field it seems to come back stronger than ever. The smell of a pigeon's crop full of rape could put you off eating them forever!

They taste a little bitter when on the rape ./ I prefer shot over peas :001_smile:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Someone prove to me about it being against any law to shoot a woodpigeon whilst nesting...

As said they breed all year round and can be shot all year round. Anyone shooting a field of crops/stubble/rape etc wont have a clue if they have a nest or not.

Pigeons will be almost nesting again within weeks of the fledgings leaving at this time of year using the same nest so unless you hold off til autumn you will be at risk.

Someone prove to me about it being against any law to shoot a woodpigeon whilst nesting...

As said they breed all year round and can be shot all year round. Anyone shooting a field of crops/stubble/rape etc wont have a clue if they have a nest or not.

Pigeons will be almost nesting again within weeks of the fledgings leaving at this time of year using the same nest so unless you hold off til autumn you will be at risk.

I would have better than a clue , I would be pretty certain they had a nest whatever the time of year ....I am 61 now and shot them from about 15 years old . Never Ever make dent in the pigeon population even with red hot barrels :001_smile:

Please see attached.

Note:

"All wild birds(1) are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (as amended), whilst

they are actively nesting or roosting. Section 1 of this Act, makes it an offence to kill, injure or take

any wild bird, and to intentionally(2) take, damage or destroy the nest of any wild bird while that nest

is in use or being built. It is also an offence to take or destroy any wild bird eggs"

Bird_Nesting_Advice_Note_1.pdf

Please see attached.

Note:

"All wild birds(1) are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (as amended), whilst

they are actively nesting or roosting. Section 1 of this Act, makes it an offence to kill, injure or take

any wild bird, and to intentionally(2) take, damage or destroy the nest of any wild bird while that nest

is in use or being built. It is also an offence to take or destroy any wild bird eggs"

[ATTACH]159485[/ATTACH]

That means then , that you could never shoot a woodie ever as they nest all year round . Tell that to a farmer with a few acres of peas .....

a copy of a legal general licence for controlling wood pigeon, taken from basc web site.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1403286247.738884.jpg.18e278cce91f815cf9a5c7165a8622e7.jpg

growing timber is listed as a reason why you can shoot these flying pests.

I guess you could use that as your reason and pigeons have no law stopping you from removing them as you are producing timber.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

You can shoot them out in the field all year round but it is an offence to disturb any nesting bird or destroy nests in the nesting season, so even when they've fledged in theory you can't disturb the nest as you can't prove it's not in use, nests are protected even while they are still being built in the nesting season.

kind of contradicts the reason why there are birds on the governments hit list for pest species then.

why try to control number if we can't stop them breeding?

hey, that's just this country all over hahahaha

....... backwards

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk