Mid range saw

David_chainsaw

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stihl MS211. I started off with an 021 and they are perfect little saws for starting off with.

That answers my question, saves another 'which saw' thread. I was debating a ms181 or the ms211 as I'm doing my CS30/31 ticket very soon.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Thanks

Al

Not saying the MS181 won't get you through a pile of logs and some small trees. But if it's going to be used for more than the occasional bit firewood, plus some small felling. Then the saw is not going to last very long.

Know someone with a MS171 with a 12" bar, it struggles on firewood greater than 100mm. But she got the offer of free training so went for her CS30/31 with the saw. That must have been a long day. Especially when she failed the assessment on a safety point. However, she was given the choice of continuing on, just to see how she would've done. If it hadn't been for that point, it would've been a pass.

The 171 continues to be underpowered for all but the smallest of tasks and suffers from recurring reliability issues, including carb problems and chain loosening. The thing has high vibs. and shakes like a leaf in a gale. I also know someone who has a MS170, who reckons the 171 isn't a patch on the 170. But I'd not like to use it for long periods, given the quoted vibration levels.

Then there's the fellow with a MS211, which is a much more capable saw. Showing little problem in felling small hardwoods or de-limbing & cutting firewood from said trees. Mind the chain will have something to do with the difference in cutting between the 171 with PMM3 and 211 PM3.

So if you can stretch to it, get the MS211 or a Husky 435, (though the Husky is both more £s and heavier for slightly less power).

Mind the chain will have something to do with the difference in cutting between the 171 with PMM3 and 211 PM3.

PMM3 will cut faster than PM3 due to the thinner kerf. Just get the decent Stihl stuff as used on top handles, not the Oregon homeowner safety chain stuff.

I use it on top handles, MS181s, pole saws and an MS250.