Business vs Childcare!

New Boy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do it and no it has not affected my business its tough going and gets even harder when the kids are ill and the school phones and your in the middle of a job which then leads to you downing tools and explaining to the customer, but I am yet to have an unsatisfied custome most people have had children theirselves and totally understand that those are your working hours but I do make a point when doing quotes of explaining I work around my children and if anything crops up thats how it is .I cant do big jobs anyway as not qaulified to so stick to small medium trees and general gardening that suits me fine I dont think I could physcially work harder than I do now anyway and with the gardening side of it most of my regulars let me take my boys with me as they know they help more than anything else so they get more done for the time im there.I just think its important to explain from the word go thats that is how you run your business .

• 1 year later...
I'm about to become a father, in about 8 days or so actually, and as the son of a single father who worked his arse off my whole life, I have this deep rooted fear of turning round and finding out my kid is suddenly 16 / 18 years old and I've been too busy with work to spend any time with them.

I'm bumping this thread as a reminder.

I do the School Runs Religiously every week on Wednesday and Thursday's plus kids clubs at evening on those days , keeps the peace with the Mrs ( she works these days) and keeps me in touch with me kids .

Grass cutting season is not to bad has I have Maintenance gardens in the Estate by the School or next Village so only a Stones throw away But in the Winter I wont Start any big jobs on these Days and stay at Home chilling out pottering about ....

Time with Kids is Precious has they are only borrowed to us has kids for a very Short Time so a few days helping out should not be a Chore but enjoyable.

Ste

Balance I reckon as a non parent myself. Not stereo typing the fairer sex here at all. I have seen blokes made a mug of by lifestyle wives, they do the gym, cafés, shopping etc. whilst the bloke earns a living then comes home and cooks & cleans, he also does the school run and lots with the kids.

On the other hand don't always be at work and never have the time or relaxation to bother with your kids.

I used to go with my dad trucking a fair bit, probably why I did the same.

My brother spent all his time on the local farm and now does farming for a living.

Unfortunately kids now have little opportunity to taste the world of work and shape their futures due to what now is overprotective legal issues.

Well done to those integrating child rearing in to their busy lives and also showing them what they do for a living.

I started my business when my son was about 18 months old. I carried him on my back for miles delivering leaflets trying to drum up business. I started doing 4 days a week having daddy day on the 5th, which I loved. I did most of my quoting on this day, and you'd be surprised how much chocolate and sweets one child can get! Work has picked up and for the last 12 months I've done 5 days a week but make sure I spend as much time as I can with him at the weekend.

I've got number 2 child arriving at the end of April. How have other people coped with booking work in around the babies due date? If you could guarantee they will pop out on the exact day you could not book work in but it doesn't work like that!

Also, how come a self employed woman can get statutory maternity pay but a self employed man can't get paternity pay... . Equal rights my a@#e 😤

Foetus transplant and the following grief!

I wouldn't worry too much about prearranged work let it flow. I always go with the proviso if alls well, weather etc. If you book reasonable people in for there jobs. Steer the selfish I'm more important types in beforehand then you won't get "what about my tree, you said you would do it .....blah blah! " phone calls.

And when the baby comes use call divert to Bolam, he will sort it fer yer.