Stihl 08S driving me up the wall

charadam

It would do because theres no strain without the bar and chain. Wrong clutch or springs are knackered, there really is not much else

As stated in earlier posts, the sprocket and clutch are new, OEM items. The sprocket is within a few thou of round and is well finished. The clutch springs are stronger than the ones on the old clutch.

The sprocket does not rock appreciably on the shaft.

There has to be a misalignment somewhere but for the life of me I cannot diagnose it.

The clutch works perfectly without the chain and bar but the moment the bar is fitted the engine can be turned by pulling the chain.

As stated in earlier posts, the sprocket and clutch are new, OEM items. The sprocket is within a few thou of round and is well finished. The clutch springs are stronger than the ones on the old clutch.

The sprocket does not rock appreciably on the shaft.

There has to be a misalignment somewhere but for the life of me I cannot diagnose it.

The clutch works perfectly without the chain and bar but the moment the bar is fitted the engine can be turned by pulling the chain.

Can you still turn the engine by pulling the chain round the bar with it in place but not the side cover clamped up ?

"Can you still turn the engine by pulling the chain round the bar with it in place but not the side cover clamped up ?"

Good question and I see the logic. Will try tomorrow.

Keep us posted ! :biggrin:

This is all a bit weird - not worked on an 08 Stihl but, without the bar and chain on, start the saw and then apply the chain brake (assuming it is the model with one) and see if the engine stalls.

My thinking is one of the spacers is in the wrong place or a non standard one is too thick and the drum is locked on to the crank somehow!

What happens if the chain is left pretty loose, does it help?

Double check how the assembly is put together against the IPL to ensure it is correct!

Cracked it - at least, I think so.

On my service manual, a small shim is shown that acts as a spacer behind the "ring" (0000 913 0510). This shim is not shown in my IPL and is missing from the saw.

The result is that the sprocket drum is being forced laterally on to the clutch when I tighten to the 29.4 N/m, causing the binding.

Job for tomorrow, turn a shim/spacer on the lathe and I should be OK.

On my service manual, a small shim is shown that acts as a spacer behind the "ring" (0000 913 0510). This shim is not shown in my IPL and is missing from the saw.

The result is that the sprocket drum is being forced laterally on to the clutch when I tighten to the 29.4 N/m, causing the binding.

:thumbup1:

Sounds like pretty much what I said - glad you are getting there:thumbup: