first car

peter_t

hopefully i will be driving soon so am starting to think about what cars to look out for. i dont reely care what it is exept it has to be cheep to run, reliable and not too expensive (im thinking no more than £800 seccond hand)

also diesel or petrol??

any advice would be great:)

pete

A Nissan Micra K11 would make an excellent buy.

My 1st car was an '87 K10, was only meant to last me for a year, then id get a better car, i did indeed rag it for that year not really giving a monkeys but then i got attached to it, 3 years on and it's still moving. I got a Honda Accord as a nicer weekend car, so wasn't really rushing about with the micra, but then disaster, someone came round a corner on the wrong side and wrote the accord off, I felt bad having to pull the micra out of retirement. :sad:

Im guessing your gonna have to get a small engine car to afford the insurance (like most first time drivers) so unless your doing many many miles id go for a small engine petrol which will still give really good MPG, My first car 10 years ago was a 1.4 petrol metro, was the perfect first car, never let me down in 2 years, great on fuel and nippy anough for a first car, Can pick them up for £300 with 12 months MOT and tax these days, Although if you want something a bit newer/cooler, Look at corsas, puntos, clios, polos, Anything small like that come up cheap enough, Lowish miles and good little cars for first cars!!

Round me all the kiddies with new licences seem to by 1 litre novas, then bolt loads of bits on to make them look and sound as gay as *&^% and then put huge stereos in them making everyone look at them being gay......personally i would go with a £300 cheapo petrol unless you are doing big miles, then a peugot 106 1.4 diesel could be ideal. Or a transit tipper! LOL I think the best thing is to check out insurance costs, then find the best condition motor with a sub 1.3 engine (cheap tax) you can for your budget.

You will get a good small car for that money, a ford ka or a corsa as parts are cheap as chips, be careful though your first car is more likely the one you will smash as once you pass your test you then learn how to drive!! good luck.

i always had peugeots 205's and 106's they are nice and simple easy to work on yourself and relatively bomb proof, i used to have a m reg 106xs it was an awesome car looking at getting another one, was faster accelerating than my golf gti i had, ran great would sit at 90 on the motorways quite happily and was possibly the most go-cart like car i have ever owned, i miss it sorely and wish i have never parted with it :(

my first car was a series 1 rs turbo ....had nothing but crap box trannys tippers for years now cheap and easy to maintain and you are not tempted or cant! race umarked police cars and get caught doing over a ton in them!