VOSA and Clear diesel vis-a-vis red diesel

difflock

Why should you pay road fund duty on boat fuel ?

You have all missed the boat on this one.

All inland water boats now have to use full duty (and its still red but sold at white prices) diesel for propulsion. They can still buy reduced duty for non propulsion use like heating / cooking / charging bats / making electricity. This happened a few years ago.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should you pay road fund duty on boat fuel ? I don't understand your logic it's like saying they should pay more because they have more so someone with more money than me should pay more for their bread or something. They probably already do as they will shop in different circles, Harrods not Lidl and they will definitely pay more income tax.

no what i was saying was that if you own a boat and it runs on derv you can put green in which is cheaper than white.yet if you use a tractor for amenity work you have to use white at pump prices.

as other posts no matter what you drive or use it should be the same derv at at a cheaper price but can you see the treasury doing that no way.

or will scrap red and green and will all pay pump rices with no rebate. they did say at one time that they would help rural users never happened

You have all missed the boat on this one.

All inland water boats now have to use full duty (and its still red but sold at white prices) diesel for propulsion. They can still buy reduced duty for non propulsion use like heating / cooking / charging bats / making electricity. This happened a few years ago.

I wonder how many navigate using white:001_smile: I remember a charter skipper we used to use being worried about this as on a full week he was using 1000 gallons of red.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting piece! Brings together several elements of other recent threads:

A bent councillor

VAT

pros & cons of red diesel

My thoughts:

There's some pretty serious jail time (and rightly so) for a group of people who don't "seem" to have gained massive financial benefit - £750,000 duty evaded split between them doesn't equate to much. More fool them! But for whoever was mug enough to be paying an invoice inc VAT for hooky gear ought to be sectioned and removed from the gene pool!

A filling station near here put a red pump under the canopy, the throng around it was so great that they had to put in another one!, and it's at the side of one of our busiest roads so it's not just country folk at it.

Back to the original point, as someone else mentioned I really can't help but think but this is typical NI "law enforcement" against easy targets in a safe area. Despite having found many high capacity plants responsible for tax evasion on a massive scale, never mind shocking environmental damage there has not yet been one single prosecution against fuel launderers in border areas.

The "pull" on the silage contractors, if true, could be very dodgey. If they decide to proceed with that one I think any half decent barrister could make fools of the CPS (again) very easily. Any time I read the relevant rules, it very much looked to me that as long as the relevant operation was unquestionably agricultural only, then red would be absolutely legal.