Self Rescue

Rob Murf

Do you only climb with another competent climber.  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Do you only climb with another competent climber.

• Always
    • Mostly
    • Sometimes.
    • Rarely

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also just a small point which was mentioned yesterday on a cs38 39 assesment it may be neccesary for the rescuer to help paramedics to get up a tree to stabalise the casualty until they could be safely removed from the tree i.e. if there was a spinal injury

QUOTE]

How many paramedics have climbing tickets?!

The fire service would be the ones to stabalise the casualty and extract them from the tree safely for medical attention on the ground.

the point was that paramedics would not have a climbing ticket and it may be necessary for a second climber to help them get up the tree to the casualty.

it is getting off topic the fact of the matter is there should always be a "rescuer" on the site.

nice one dean:001_smile:

i am also self employed and always have a trained climber

You primarily work for the LA therefore you do not have to be as competetive as you have an income and do not rely as much on private work.

You also have access to any number of tree operative willing to make a bit on govey work, a bit unfair of you to compare me with you.

How many LA worker, Company employees go out on the weekend and do jobs cash in hand ??

One other point is if I'm up a tree with a broken back or neck, the last thing I want is some spotty teenager trained in ariel rescue come up to rescue me and breaking my spinal column and making me a quadriplegic

We always have someone on site who could perform an aerial rescue. I would not work for a company that sent me out with out one.

Its absolutely no excuse to say that you cant afford to employ one because you price low to win jobs.

No disrespect Phenom, but that's easy to say until it's you running the business and responsible for getting the work in

also just a small point which was mentioned yesterday on a cs38 39 assesment it may be neccesary for the rescuer to help paramedics to get up a tree to stabalise the casualty until they could be safely removed from the tree i.e. if there was a spinal injury

QUOTE]

How many paramedics have climbing tickets?!

The fire service would be the ones to stabalise the casualty and extract them from the tree safely for medical attention on the ground.

actually, in my unfortunate case (and i wont say what) the fire brigade turned up with mewp, paramedic in basket to rescue me. Fortunately for them i was still concious and had to instruct them how to rescue me by getting the weight off my rope and krabs to get me down in the mewp.

3 qualified climbers on ground unable to rescue me.

when the sh** hits the fan,.....dial 999

You are lucky to have that luxury.

If I quoted for a second climber on every domestic job I would not have a business.

That just about sums up the reality in my case too. I would love the luxury of having a second, competent climber to work as a groundie. Not financially viable in nearly all dom jobs.

Anyway, all you guys banging on about how you always have one/ wouldnt do a job wothout one etc etc, thats fair enough, but a: how many aerial rescues have you or your workmates witnessed, and b:do your men have regular refreshers in aerial rescue so that WITHOUT DOUBT they will perform it correctly and efficiently enough to get the casualty down? If you are injured so badly that you cant move through spino-skeletal or large wound damage then your rescuer needs you on the ground and out of the harness in sub 15 mins. Is that going to happen i ask myself when trying to justify that extra cost to myself/ my potential customer.:001_smile:

You primarily work for the LA therefore you do not have to be as competetive as you have an income and do not rely as much on private work.

You also have access to any number of tree operative willing to make a bit on govey work, a bit unfair of you to compare me with you.

How many LA worker, Company employees go out on the weekend and do jobs cash in hand ??

One other point is if I'm up a tree with a broken back or neck, the last thing I want is some spotty teenager trained in ariel rescue come up to rescue me and breaking my spinal column and making me a quadriplegic

this is my last replyas this seems to be getting personal rather than generic

1 how do you think i do not have to be competitive i have to pay all my costs inc insurance kit ect in less days than you and if i was not competitive do you think i would have any work

2 you have the same access to climbers to do govey work i presume as i dont have any

3 At the moment no LA lads round our way does jobs on a weekend for cash

4 Its up to you weather you have any spotty teanager to rescue you i would only want someone that if needed could actually do it :sneaky2:

a guy I used to work for in norfolk used to send me out on my own all the time.. usualy on cut price mates rates stuff, I used to have to climb cut drag and stack and then the chipper guy would rock up later. the only way i could get a groundy apart from refusing the work was if i needed some one to lower stuff. and that person although verry skilled on a lowering rope, could not have rescued me.

No that is very poor IMO the guy would not be trading if it were up to me :thumbdown: