tree surgery in the future

dodger

i dont know of any tree police, who is to stop me right now going outside, free climb the nearest tree and hack off some branches with a saw. no one.

There will never be anyone to stop you. But like everything no one cares and nothing matters until theres an employee who has an accident thats when it all kicks off.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

or came close?

you could argue that every single manouvre you make/do in a tree you are coming close to an accident....thats is what distinguishes us as professionals is it not? ive never had an accident, yet have had plenty of close calls.....but looking back, they werent close calls whatsoever, for the most part i knew what was going to happen and took appropriate precautions.....wether it was positioning myself or swinging out of the way

Dodger

it seems funny when you look back and think how somthing as simple as a prussic knot can go from a closed system trough to the hitch climber and the loc jack...... could you have seen that comming???

even having said that in all that time you will have seen seriousy gloping trees you would not make yoiur worst enimy climb........ so you cam up with an answer be it scaffohold etc but with mewps they too have moved on and these days you can get 100 ft+ all terain self propped things that are absolutly fantastic to work from, and frankly i love um.... having said that i love my sequia and the feeling being stood at the top of a tree wind in my hair knowing me not the machine got hear and me and my gear is about to do the job..... one will never fully replace the other and i could never see legislation fully replacing one with the other, well not in outr life time.

as for how dangerouse our job is, our job is frought with risk.... its how we controll that to a level; were we go home at the end of the day and also go home in the same condition that we when t to work, the attitude of ohhh well missing fingers and big scars are an ocupational hazard are and should be a thing of the past.

so long live climbing, let the mewp contine to improve, and to all the inventors out there keep the improvments in all forms of access comming

im looking forward to rocket boots to be honest

kevin

Maybe I'm doing it wrong??

But I think the danger of our job (if done correctly) is grossly over exaggerated by some.

I think some seem to get of on the "perceived danger".

I just don't like the "I'm well hard and well brave cause I climb trees brigade", I deserver good money for my ability to do a job well, NOT because I'm stupid or brave.

you could argue that every single manouvre you make/do in a tree you are coming close to an accident....thats is what distinguishes us as professionals is it not? ive never had an accident, yet have had plenty of close calls.....but looking back, they werent close calls whatsoever, for the most part i knew what was going to happen and took appropriate precautions.....wether it was positioning myself or swinging out of the way

Hmm maybe but surely that means that me, Dean and who ever else etc stopped being proffesionals the second we had an accident?

The difference between a close call and an accident is very minute imo, I know plenty of lads who never had an accident, they have now mind, I dont think that makes them any worse as a skilled professional.

There are times I have pulled out from a junction in my car/truck then thought 'did I even looked left/right then?' maybe I did or maybe I didnt but was lucky, maybe one day an artic wil answer my question, point is (if I have one :001_smile:) that imo you can never think you control everything and that if you do a,b,c you wont have an accident or cause one, they happen very quickly an usually without warning.

There will never be anyone to stop you. But like everything no one cares and nothing matters until theres an employee who has an accident thats when it all kicks off.

i have worked with trees since i can remember, my dad felled and did firewood, worked off scaffold free climbed used ladders, jcb buckets. even tied ladders to a massey fergusson loader. he never got anything more than the usual scratches. he used what he could and carried it out succesfully. equipement and gadgets only assist you. i worry now that climbing is focused on more than the skill of cutting. climbing and mewps only get you to where you need to be.

i worry now that climbing is focused on more than the skill of cutting. climbing and mewps only get you to where you need to be.

Very good point!!!

I don't understand why some learn to climb before they learn to cut!:confused1:

I had been cutting for years before I ever used a saw up a tree.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong??

But I think the danger of our job (if done correctly) is grossly over exaggerated by some.

I think some seem to get of on the "perceived danger".

I just don't like the "I'm well hard and well brave cause I climb trees brigade", I deserver good money for my ability to do a job well, NOT because I'm stupid or brave.

I'm not part of the crew that gets off on thinking they are doing a dangerous job that only big boys can do.

I think that there are many dangers in our job compared to alot of other jobs, and get a little pissed when we are perceived as nothing more than gardeners with chainsaws, and that 'we all used to climb trees as kids so whats the deal'

Maybe you are doing it wrong I dont know (:001_tongue:) but I knew a guy who was doing it right for 22+ years and was a very,very good climber, within 18 months he had had a couple of falls and a chainsaw cut, now I guess if he had been working as a florist he wouldnt have a nice scar and an few repaired bones.

Very good point!!!

I don't understand why some learn to climb before they learn to cut!:confused1:

I had been cutting for years before I ever used a saw up a tree.

Good point mate, and you swb. I was the same. I have been working on the ground with trees for 12 years now, and around them/wood for ever, but only learnt to climb with ropes etc 2 years ago. When i went on my climbing courses there were lads who had only that year picked up a saw in any serious amount before, and believed that they could then do it all:confused1: It made me feel a bit novicey for a wile, with a whole new set of skills.