Chain Catcher on Stihl MS211?

alexm

I'm doing bit of an overhaul on a MS211 for a friend and as well as fixing a host of issues (burnt bar, leaking oil pipe, knackered sprocket, broken HT lead to name a few) I noticed it had no chain catcher.

I ordered a chain catcher (genuine Stihl) for this saw, the part number appears to be correct and it fits perfectly (holes line up etc) but when it's attached the cover won't go on as it interferes with the chain catcher.

Anyone have any ideas? Could there different variations of this saw which come with no chain catcher? Or are there different catchers available? :confused1:

Here's a picture which demonstrates the problem...

IMG_1542.jpg.9ff361df91670d001675423d964e5bef.jpg

thanks for any assistance in advance!

Alex

The plastic bit is the chain catcher on mine. I don't think there is any technical requirement for it to be metal instead of plastic. Would think the power of the saw/size of chain and whether it was a pro/home user saw would dictate the strength and material of the chain catcher.

Thanks that would certainly explain it :blushing:

I guess I assumed there should be something more substantial than that bit of plastic with an additional dedicated metal catcher like on my Husky.

So presumably the metal catcher spare part is just for when your chain has come off and hacked apart the plastic?

Oh well... Guess he's got a spare now.... :biggrin:

Cheers

Alex

Aye, on the cheap stihl's it's just plastic. I've had one used a few times, and they've always worked, though once it needed replacing afterwards (I replaced the entire cover)!

Thanks, having spoken to a few more people it seems that is exactly what this (official Stihl) part is meant to avoid. You are meant to file away the remains of the mangled plastic (if/when that happens) and attach the ali chain catcher to avoid having to buy a whole new cover

Makes sense on a budget saw I suppose but considering the catchers are only like 4 quid it makes you wonder if it was worth it!

Anyway... he has collected his saw (plus spare chain catcher :D) and it's running nice and tight and sweet again so it's all good. :D

cheers,

Alex