What GVW Arb Truck

fen01

I work in a rural area with over 60% of my jobs being big takedowns etc resulting in 3+ Land Rover loads of chip, I'm looking at getting another truck. I'll keep the Landy as its handy for smaller jobs quotes etc, but the purpose of the second truck is move large amount of chip logs etc. Having looked a GVW 5-7.5 truck don't actually give that much more capacity, perhaps 4t max (OK that's 4 landy loads, but would soon become over loaded).

So my thoughts are go big early and get a 16t with a crane (assume an 8t payload and 24t GTW), this way, depending on configuration, volume is more likely to be the limiting factor. As for any thing over 3.5t I'll need an O licence, CE, tacho etc anyway, I can't see the maintenance being overly onerous and the truck won't be getting beasted.

Being prepared to be shot down in flames, what have I missed and why aren't loads of tree surgeons cutting around in larger lorries? I get the access issues but that's what the Landys for?

If I've got this right stand by for a truck project thread😁

Cheers

Mark

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thats a good point and one I've thought of and have read the treads, I've got a tt105 which is great, but to get the best of it you need 2 trucks, one for the chipper and one for the trailer. This is my second option, running either 2 Land Rover chip trucks or a chip truck and a mewp. My ifor weighs about 1t with sides etc, so that give a legal 2.5t payload, plus whatever the tow vehicle has once you've got men and kit on board (good luck to the guy on here saying he's pulling 4.5t in his). A decent lorry still has twice the payload of 2 landys and a tt105 plus being able to tow the chipper or a trailer with a gw of 8t. Does that make sense?

I've also thought about a tractor\ mog etc but being g a tree surgeon I can't get away with at reg and red😤

I guess there is no ultimate truck or set up!

Cheers

Mark

I'm in a similar position to you curt early emptying my landy 3-4 times a day or more on larger jobs but most average days we'll fill it twice. The main problems with going over 7.5t that I see are if you want a proper chipper (750kg+) you and your employees will need C+ E which means training and test to drive a artic although in reality you'll only be driving a very small 16t. And if your guys aren't all ace drivers the training for this could run Into a lot of time and money. 2nd problem although a large rigid lorry with crane etc would be awesome for capacity and cutting down on manual handling the benefits will be void if you can't fit it in the driveway or the customer won't let you put it on the driveway, then having to use a tiny landy instead would e even more frustrating. I'm applying for a 3 vehicle o license and first truck will be a canter or isuzu 7.5t big payload but small I size 4 landy loads oaf into one load will save hours of time wasted driving during each day . The bigger toys can come later as on the right job they can be excellent but IMO shouldn't be a companies sole vehicle.

The driving licence issue doesn't worry me at the moment, may be in 5 years I'll have a different opinion! Are any of the 7.5t you're looking at 4wd? Unfortunately, I really need that capability. You're point about training drivers is a really good one when it comes to getting a second driver a few years down the line. Its a tough decision as this will be a large investment!