What GVW Arb Truck

fen01

Cheers I'm a bit happier with the o licence costs now. Insurance comes down as the ncb increases. Now need to sort out storage location and find a truck. I can't really think of an alternative vehicle. I'm very much in the same situation as Peter.

I'd like to have this sorted before next winter.

Mark

Sent from my GT-S7710 using Arbtalk mobile app

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Right so 1.5t more than a 3.5t van. What about a 7.5t?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Arbtalk mobile app

Mitsubishi canter is lightest in class the isuzu grafter is similar the S&B canter is only 2350kg as a chassis cab iirc. So potential for 4t payload with light body and few passengers. I've applied for a no license recently it was £1200 all in including getting someone to do it all for me.

Also I'm 25 and paying for myself and slightly you get employee to gain all licenses, I still think it will be a very good move and bring efficiency to another level.

WM Tree Services

http://www.bestkenttreesurgeons.co.uk

Mitsubishi canter is lightest in class the isuzu grafter is similar the S&B canter is only 2350kg as a chassis cab iirc. So potential for 4t payload with light body and few passengers. I've applied for a no license recently it was £1200 all in including getting someone to do it all for me.

Also I'm 25 and paying for myself and slightly you get employee to gain all licenses, I still think it will be a very good move and bring efficiency to another level.

WM Tree Services

You can always employ guys that have an hgv license to work for you. I have four guys that all have their licences to drive over the weight trucks. It does not command a premium and you can then have the correct truck rather than a make do. I think a ten tonner is the bare minimum in this game.

Bob

Think I may have found a truck, so been browsing the net getting feel for costs. First look at tyres £1500+vat each!😣😣😣 looks. About and found some much cheaper. I'll need to adjust my cost estimate a bit! I doubt tyres would need changing often though☺

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

After speaking to the guys who will do my maintenance apparently the little jap 7.5 toners are a nightmare to get parts for and very dear, also not great to drive loaded so they've told me to get an 18 tonner due to the minaj size difference between 7.5 and 18 when they're all built like a proper lorry. the Iveco super cargos are looking good there's a few local with some serious hiabs on them too and hey seem to sell for peanuts.

WM Tree Services

That's the conclusion I came to. Go big, the main effort is to carry a lot of chip and timber so you need the biggest lorry you think you can get into peoples drives etc.

I have had my grain trailer custom made to be able to chip into / tow the chipper around site etc , it works great when on large jobs because it takes a while to fill , also it ticks a lot of boxes running this rig ImageUploadedByArbtalk1404242790.943140.jpg.eb7ebaf0d25a9ca72e461bbc4b79aa74.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1404242722.505968.jpg.c42260995d4ee63c8570ec056ff9183e.jpg

That's the conclusion I came to. Go big, the main effort is to carry a lot of chip and timber so you need the biggest lorry you think you can get into peoples drives etc.

Its all a load of codswallop this business about lorry width, there are not many places we cant stuff our trailers in. all of the bigger trucks measure 8` wide vs a 7.5 ton which can be the same or smaller at 7`6". That is not enough to make the slightest difference. I had to get our truck down the single track road below and into the gateway in the righthand side of the picture. Yes it took about five minutes but so what.Go for the biggest you can get, you wont regret it.

Bob

imagejpg1_zpsebd583aa.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsce4480d2.jpg

imagejpg2_zps010447f6.jpg