Stihl MS661 re-release

Windthrown

OK, so the MS661 was released and withdrawn, or 'not a-recall' recalled from the US, Germany and the UK late last year and earlier this year. To fill the gap, the MS660 was put back into production and is selling in these markets. The 661 cylinder has supposedly been redesigned for a design flaw that caused the problems in those 661s that failed. Though no one at Stihl has said so directly, some Stihl area reps in the states have said that is the case.

At any rate, after the wait, the 661 is nearing its re-release time of August-September in Germany, the UK, the US and Australia. Actually in Australia it will be the first release, as they never saw the 661 down under. Of course that begs the question, do we snap up the last of the new 660s that are out there now, or plonk down the dosh on a new 661 when they come out? Most fallers that I know here that tested the 661 prototypes are waiting for and wanting the new and revised 661. To paraphrase in your English, they say that the 661s are "the dogs b@llocks." I hope I can say that here? Here in the states that term means nothing, but my friends from London say that when they like something.

The question is of course if they messed up the first release so bad, why risk buying one? Here in the states, we have the choked up version of the 660, which has 7.0 HP. So the 7.3 HP 661 is a gain over the US 660, but not the 660 that they have in Oz or the older 066 that we had here. My older 066 had 7.6 HP with a dual port muffler cover on it. I am not sure what model 660 you have there in the UK.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so the MS661 was released and withdrawn, or 'not a-recall' recalled from the US, Germany and the UK late last year and earlier this year. To fill the gap, the MS660 was put back into production and is selling in these markets. The 661 cylinder has supposedly been redesigned for a design flaw that caused the problems in those 661s that failed. Though no one at Stihl has said so directly, some Stihl area reps in the states have said that is the case.

At any rate, after the wait, the 661 is nearing its re-release time of August-September in Germany, the UK, the US and Australia. Actually in Australia it will be the first release, as they never saw the 661 down under. Of course that begs the question, do we snap up the last of the new 660s that are out there now, or plonk down the dosh on a new 661 when they come out? Most fallers that I know here that tested the 661 prototypes are waiting for and wanting the new and revised 661. To paraphrase in your English, they say that the 661s are "the dogs b@llocks." I hope I can say that here? Here in the states that term means nothing, but my friends from London say that when they like something.

The question is of course if they messed up the first release so bad, why risk buying one? Here in the states, we have the choked up version of the 660, which has 7.0 HP. So the 7.3 HP 661 is a gain over the US 660, but not the 660 that they have in Oz or the older 066 that we had here. My older 066 had 7.6 HP with a dual port muffler cover on it. I am not sure what model 660 you have there in the UK.

Hi mate you may be right there but like you said a good ported 660 will out cut 661 I'm told nice one mate Jon

Or you could just buy a 395:thumbup1:

We have been beasting our 661 since it's release, having had the 880 stolen we have been using the 661 more and more occasionally with the 36" bar for the bigger stuff and 20 or 25" for everyday use, great saw easy much nicer to handle than the 660.

As for porting modding whatever i have no clue we buy the saws stock and run them, wanting good reliable saws with minimum maintenance.

We only ever had one issue, where it would cut out and not restart until it called down, this only happened a couple of times.

Hi tree why go for less power and higher vibrations that's just mad thanks Jon

Well let's see, it's a proven saw and didn't get withdrawn, the dealer will post it to you if needed and it's a perfectly good saw.

Arguing the toss over "half a gram heavy on the back end" is a waste of time, show your talent and do the best job you can with what you have to hand.

Edited by treequip