what tyres for 4x4 pick up?

thecaptain

I've got Toyo Open Country AT on my Hilux. I find them very good, the majority of my driving is on tarmac as I'm sure most of our's is. They grip well in both dry and wet conditions...infact really well. On the 20% of time that I'm off road they seem to do well also, bit slippery in heavy amounts of mud but I guess that's to be expected. Used to have the General Grabber at2, and I think these Toyos are better.

agreed :001_smile: i had toyos on a works Hilux and they were very good as we spent quite alot of time off road doing HV power line clearances in the middle of nowhere. dunno what the longevity of these tyres are though.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Done 25k on my bfg muddies, I'd say they are worn around a 3rd, possibly more, on that basis I think I will get 60-70k out of them (well the rears anyway fronts are wearing quicker) not sure if this is good or bad or how they compare wear wise to other makes, I do find them perfectly acceptable on the road and exellant off road too

Hi mate BFG are the ones thanks Jon.

agreed :001_smile: i had toyos on a works Hilux and they were very good as we spent quite alot of time off road doing HV power line clearances in the middle of nowhere. dunno what the longevity of these tyres are though.

I think the grip they offer on the road seems to me to suggest that they are a softer compound, this I feel is a plus, although I know they will need replacing sooner, I think in the US Toyo offer a 80k warranty if they are rotated routinely.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm not a fan of general grabbers. I found that you do not get many miles out of them and they are not particularly good off road.

I have found BFG tyres to be very good. Although they are not cheap to buy, you do get a lot of miles out of them (far far more than the grabbers), which makes them cheaper in the long run. The AT's are nice on the road and not bad off road. The MT's aren't bad on the road and excellent off road. I would have thought you could get 4 for less than £500 + vat if you shop about.

Marc clear your inbox

[ATTACH]159426[/ATTACH]

Just fitted these on my hilux bought them 2nd hand ( covered approx 2,000 miles) for £150

Tool grabbers off as the grip was poo

I had that tread pattern in some tyres called " Big Macho " by Greenway . Good in the mud noisy on the road . They were retreads by the way .