Chainsaw VS Boot

White Noise

Medium rare with blood horns and kicking

Hope i didnt spoil ur tea .

He does own some ppe boots still dont know why they werent on his feet .

It was a case of rush rush trying to be in two places at once .

hes back at work and its overkill with the ppe , if thats possible .

cheers all

I can honestly say if I didn't wear chainsaw boots I would have less toes now.

Always when logging.

Always while being lazy.

That looks like it stings a bit....:w00t:

I don't want to come across as patronising or anything like that, safety at work in all aspects of what we do is a topic that really intrests me. My biggest downfall is lack of concentration when i'm not on the tools especially if i'm on the ground I get bored or just do not have a 100% awareness of what is going on around me and have had moments of stupidity, its something that I have to improve and i will after 2 close'ish calls, i'm sure we all know those moments where think "holy **** that was close" or "**** me that could of been really nasty".

To me what sets most of us apart is our ability to learn from these mistakes, to take on board how our actions nearly seriously hurt us or those around us and to then change our work habits. I have also observed though in other treeworkers i've worked with the lack of this most basic survival ability, they just seem to live with luck on there side constantly exposing themselves to injury through poor work positioning, laziness or the just get it done attitude, often these worker can go years with luck on there side so never really see what they are doing is wrong.

Logging sucks I know it i hate it, i've been there done all the lazy boy bad practice, one foot on the log cutting close to it to finsih the cut, using the nose of the bar etc etc Now though I am far more cautious for reasons some of you may know,(not because i've injured my foot). I keep that bar far from my feet if i'm in the standing position, or just plain get down there cut with the pulling chain and the log on the dogs virtually nil chance of injurying yourself and better for your back.

I see where your coming from . Ive been in this game for 17 yrs + some people say im slow but hey the jobs done right and my staff do things the right way .When i work with this other guy its just purely business and he does things his way .May be im thinking do i really want to help a possible future rival . Thanks for those valid points .

Might actually turn out to be a good thing for him: a not too serious reminder to take your time and NEVER get complacent.

And i though i only got the joys of seeing blood n' guts by watching Casualty :001_smile:.

I looked at the pic first and thought ouch just like my work mate straight through his chainsaw boot to the big toe, then i read he wasn't wearing ppe!

Chainsaw boots do not give proper side protection, the only protected places are straight on the laces or to the toe cap, side impacts will give you a nasty bite exactly like that.

And i know i was the one who adminstered first aid and removed his chainsaw boots.

Yea-I just don't believe they don't wrap the B nylon around yr toes, at the price they charge too :(

K

Yea-I just don't believe they don't wrap the B nylon around yr toes, at the price they charge too :(

K

That is something i would not want, I want my boots as light as possible and comfy, if we follow good practice then the chance of hitting the side of your foot should be extremly low to nil, its no use producing ppe to such a high protective standard to cover poor practice. Better training is the best way to prevent accidents not better ppe!

I met someone recently who managed to cut the side of his leg through type C trousers, he did this by hitting the seam!!! The only way of avoiding this would be to make type c trousers with overlapping seams this though would make the trousers a little heavier and more uncomfortable by having the overlap. The cutter in question said it was his poor positioning which lead to the accident!

All ppe has its weak points/limitations, Stihl HiFlex are very good very light trousers with some of the thinnest protection material around, this makes them great to wear and bearable in all but the hottest days, BUT it is very possible to cut through them if your unlucky.

I personally prefer having something lightweight and comfortable but with slightly lower protection, i know this and accept it.

Im glad the guy didnt sustain serious injury but in the same breath think he's a moron for using a saw without the PPE on, in 10 years ive NEVER gone near a running saw without my PPE on!!

As said im please he didnt lose any toes