Keeping bees amongst the trees

SteveA

Ive been a beekeeper for over 30 years but have given up this year after getting gradually worsening reaction to venom.

We had a saying that bees in a wood don't do any good. my best producing hives had sun for most of the day but I guess one has to site them where one has space.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He must be a posh bee keeper, he has a proper skep! I only have a cardboard box!! It's ok as long as I remember the tape to close the top properly otherwise I have to use my coat:lol:

Took off 90 lb of honey the other day :thumbup:

We should start a bee keeping thread

.......We should start a bee keeping thread

:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

fair few Bee related threads knocking about already, here's the results of a 'search'.......

Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists - Search Results

We could perhaps set a sticky thread in the ecology section?

But it should have a vague 'tree' slant to it as there's loads of web bee resources out there already.

Good to see bees swarming and from what I've learnt is a good way to help keep the colony healthy.

Here's a top cover cloth I've made for the warre (needs cutting into 4). It's a hessian sack painted with a flour paste to stiffen it up, the bees plug or unplug the holes with propolis so they can control ventilation levels.

image.jpg.4c7b229399a74a472b0cdf285d3b8693.jpg