Apprentice troubles

Andymacp

Sometimes, there is a far bigger picture. My youngest lad recently completed his apprenticeship a a technician in the motor trade. During that time, at times, he was treated with total disrespect, to the point he wanted to quit. Snide put downs and being told he was useless 90% of the time, (along with other members of staff) ground him down. I suggested he completed his apprenticeship, which he did. He passed his course with a major organisation with distinctions. He was head hunted by two rival companies and has left home to work for one of them. He's now been there a couple of months and thoroughly enjoys the team and the work. He gets respect for his abilities, paid well for his skills, and is one happy bunny. Years ago, had I been in his shoes for his past employer, I would have floored the idiots in charge and stormed out, ruining my future in the process.

So when any of you moan about the youth of today, look at how you are percieved by them, would you like to be treated as you're treating them? Does the fact they wish to leave point to a problem you might have in your your.man management skills?

Fact of life that well trained, good staff will leave and set up on their own, any one with a half a brain will, that's how most of us got where we are! :001_smile:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sometimes, there is a far bigger picture. My youngest lad recently completed his apprenticeship a a technician in the motor trade. During that time, at times, he was treated with total disrespect, to the point he wanted to quit. Snide put downs and being told he was useless 90% of the time, (along with other members of staff) ground him down. I suggested he completed his apprenticeship, which he did. He passed his course with a major organisation with distinctions. He was head hunted by two rival companies and has left home to work for one of them. He's now been there a couple of months and thoroughly enjoys the team and the work. He gets respect for his abilities, paid well for his skills, and is one happy bunny. Years ago, had I been in his shoes for his past employer, I would have floored the idiots in charge and stormed out, ruining my future in the process.

So when any of you moan about the youth of today, look at how you are percieved by them, would you like to be treated as you're treating them? Does the fact they wish to leave point to a problem you might have in your your.man management skills?

Fact of life that well trained, good staff will leave and set up on their own, any one with a half a brain will, that's how most of us got where we are! :001_smile:

This is exactly how I get treated! I'm always felt put down and always feel like I have to prove them wrong! And still when I do it's still more things to put me down. I think you need some criticism to learn but not to the point where it's bullied. I'm not happy as I'm not getting anywhere as employes and boss just don seem to try and improve me it's a pain but it's a job and it's life :/

To send a text to terminate ones employment is downright rude, & shows lack of respect & complete immaturity.

There are plenty of young lads & lasses out there with good work ethics & willing to learn new skills to progress.

The employee may be financially better off in the short term working in a factory but I guarantee there will be little career progression & usually becomes very mundane after a short period of time.

Don't give up looking for the right people as they will be the future of your business if you want to grow.

This is exactly how I get treated! I'm always felt put down and always feel like I have to prove them wrong! And still when I do it's still more things to put me down. I think you need some criticism to learn but not to the point where it's bullied. I'm not happy as I'm not getting anywhere as employes and boss just don seem to try and improve me it's a pain but it's a job and it's life :/

Both spot on comments. We have a young guy who works with us and the first thing he was told was that there is no such thing as a stupid question so if you don't know something, just ask. Luckily, there are no ego warriors on our team and so he gets treated properly and is progressing rapidly. It beats me why people treat others with complete disrespect and then bleat about being treated the same way. :001_rolleyes:

I feel like quitting mostly every day but the thought of nor working is even worse. I want to get better not worse. But if you're not comfortable working with staff that are constantly laughing and putting you down again how do you improve? I do a lot of my own tree work on a weekend and it's so much better and enjoyable. Just got an opportunity to work on railway some weekends again more experience different work force, also the chance of a full time job out of it. I'm determinate!!

I feel like quitting mostly every day but the thought of nor working is even worse. I want to get better not worse. But if you're not comfortable working with staff that are constantly laughing and putting you down again how do you improve? I do a lot of my own tree work on a weekend and it's so much better and enjoyable. Just got an opportunity to work on railway some weekends again more experience different work force, also the chance of a full time job out of it. I'm determinate!!

If you can stick it out, get what you want out of them and then move on in a better position. Make it work for you then stick two metaphorical fingers up and walk away with your head held high and your experience on your CV. :001_smile:

If you can stick it out, get what you want out of them and then move on in a better position. Make it work for you then stick two metaphorical fingers up and walk away with your head held high and your experience on your CV. :001_smile:

Exactly what I'm doing! ANSI cant wait for that day to come:)