Fir logs

RC0

Thanks again.

Looks nice there. When you are zip lining the logs, are you using the same set up as you use on brush? Or bigger slings and a pulley on the line? And tensioned down to a device on a tree?

Cheers Paddy.

bigger slings paddy but same set up, steel carabiniers. Its hard on the rope, so probably shouldn't use your fave....but very quick and easy to set up for each log. No crazy tensioning of the line....just a wrap on a tree. I know Jon (jomoco) has some good zip line pics, hopefully he'll post if he follows the thread. Are you out this way now Paddy ?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you get shaken much knocking barrels on a speed line at 100'+ Reg?

I'd drop them then SL them after.

I know you'll come up with the commercial necessity bollocks, but you've only got one life mate.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Do you get shaken much knocking barrels on a speed line at 100'+ Reg?

I'd drop them then SL them after.

I know you'll come up with the commercial necessity bollocks, but you've only got one life mate.

Cheers.

Mark on this job the landing was probably 80-100 feet away....certainly the ground anchor was 100, but we let them drop before that point.

What you have to consider is that the steeper the angle, the less pull on the tree....so there's actually much less wobble when you're higher up. And by the time you're lower with a wider line angle, sure it pulls much harder on the tree but a shorter, thicker tree is obviouslly stronger too. At least, that's the way it seems.

OK mate, well explained.

I'm doing a few lanky trees next week (40' easy) with a fair drag across a lawn.

I might try and speed line a few lumps.

If it goes wrong I'll blame you, and get you banned from the Internet....

OK mate, well explained.

I'm doing a few lanky trees next week (40' easy) with a fair drag across a lawn.

Reg is already banned, so if you ban him as well that will be two negatives. If i rememmber rightly from school 'two negatives make a positive'

OK mate, well explained.

Just make sure you have slings long enough that you have a distance of at least a foot between the carabiner and the log once you've choked them up....as too short a distance and the log or limb can get unexpectedly jammed at any point on the way down....that'd give you a wobble mate.

Not really any new vids in the process, although I do collect clips here and there. I need spare time to put anything together though.

You dont need to go mad tensioning the line when you're zipping logs, as opposed to limbs....as they much shorter so less likely to drag, snag or fall short of the landing. Obviously depends on how much height you have too.

The groundworker on this job just took a re-direct on the tree, then a wrap on the snap hook which put him in a good position to see everything as it happened. See pics

DSC03212.jpg.0956109c25ced24c90f2cc3149850f21.jpg

DSC03213.jpg.351d9280ba675419842e75dc18c56599.jpg