Monkey Puzzle Milling

alex_w

The Monkey Puzzle Tree (Araucaria araucana) is CITES listed Appendix 1. Which means it cannot be traded under any circumstances, nationally or internationally. :thumbdown:

With last years European Timber regulations requiring source information for timber products, anyone dealing with this species should be very wary.

Sorry to put a downer on the thread!

The Monkey Puzzle Tree (Araucaria araucana) is CITES listed Appendix 1. Which means it cannot be traded under any circumstances, nationally or internationally. :thumbdown:

With last years European Timber regulations requiring source information for timber products, anyone dealing with this species should be very wary.

Sorry to put a downer on the thread!

Not quite how I read it

From the cites website

Appendix I lists species that are the most endangered among CITES-listed animals and plants (see*Article*II, paragraph 1*of the Convention). They are threatened with extinction and CITES prohibits international trade in specimens of these species except when the purpose of the import is not commercial (see*Article*III), for instance for scientific research. In these exceptional cases, trade may take place provided it is authorized by the granting of both an import permit and an export permit (or re-export certificate).*Article*VII*of the Convention provides for a number of exemptions to this general prohibition.

Full page here

http://www.cites.org/eng/app/index.php

As I read it permits are required for international import/export only, would explain why they can be freely bought in garden centres 😁

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

i don't believe it maters if you are dealing in the country of growth.

i contacted cites once as i had a wood sample 6"x4"x1" of MP that i wanted to send to the states and was told it would need a licence but i was also told that selling it in this country was fine, you just cant export it.

its to stop countries that don't have it wanting it really. every country want's what it doesn't have it seems...

As I read it permits are required for international import/export only, would explain why they can be freely bought in garden centres 😁

The problem, as I see it, is the combination of CITES and EUTR, which became effective 3rd March last year (2013) where they count everything as place on the EU market, which at present includes the UK market!

Due diligence is the key phrasing in that legislation.

And anything in garden centres is exempt, as that would be regarded as 'unharvested'. :001_smile:

Milled some five years ago used green to hold up a balcony main exposed beam is 1ft deep 5 inches wide 14 ft long its exposed to nature with bearers for balcony coming off her bearers are smaller No adverse effects to date.

hope this is of help.

Hi

No havent made it into I international exports yet. Trouble is this trunk is mostly too big for most turners so quite a lot needs milling. Certainly keeping some boards for myself as the tree is from the same first seed batch as the Bicton avenue.