Possible 357 Problem

Lillywhite Timber

When did the 357 come out? Im not really sure but know the 02 models had them as had 1 myself which I replaced with the blue button. Only got rid of it last year still on the original pot altho I did replace a piston on it.

Usually its actually the rubber pipe that splits between the tail and the decomp fitting in the barrel rather than the fitting itself ive always found.

Not sure when it came out but seem to remember that the auto de comp was a " new innovation " that had been fitted to strimmers and the like so the thought they would try it on a saw . Turned out to be a hindrance rather than a help so they did away with it . Either that or its my age !!!:biggrin:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure when it came out but seem to remember that the auto de comp was a " new innovation " that had been fitted to strimmers and the like so the thought they would try it on a saw . Turned out to be a hindrance rather than a help so they did away with it . Either that or its my age !!!:biggrin:

I think your right. According to a service bulletein there where manual decamps prior.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CH0QFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mymowerparts.com%2Fpdf%2FHusqvarna-Service-Bulletins%2FB0301033.pdf&ei=QQdUU5bSGcnbPbPhgNAG&usg=AFQjCNHriX8VtUBPg63hqKP-SDaIKsnfzw&sig2=f0TjRn-R1ar8VJoZzleV_w&bvm=bv.65058239,d.d2k

Usually its actually the rubber pipe that splits between the tail and the decomp fitting in the barrel rather than the fitting itself ive always found.

I've a pair of 2005's that have/had the auto decomp - one came to me with a split in the pipe and the other will get blanked off as soon as I get round to it (the bits have only been sat there a year or more.....)

I just remove the auto decomp, thread the hole in the transfer cover to M5 and threadlock a small M5 bolt in to the hole then fit a manual decomp.

Back to the issue - pull the muffler and check the piston is OK - it should look wet and light grey - any vertical scores are bad news!

Thanks very much for all the feedback Guys , it was tuned to take a 15 inch bar by the dealers and no adjustment made when i put the 13 inch bar . Is it possible it would have done permanent damage in the space of the time it takes to wear a single chain ? . It looks like i may take off the exhaust , dreading it cos id a 576 which everyone else loves but only did me around 15 months . At that id actually take pride in minding my saws !!! . Would the slight change in mix have done harm 40 : 1 to 45:1 ? .

Thanks very much for all the feedback Guys , it was tuned to take a 15 inch bar by the dealers and no adjustment made when i put the 13 inch bar . Is it possible it would have done permanent damage in the space of the time it takes to wear a single chain ? . It looks like i may take off the exhaust , dreading it cos id a 576 which everyone else loves but only did me around 15 months . At that id actually take pride in minding my saws !!! . Would the slight change in mix have done harm 40 : 1 to 45:1 ? .

Should be ok at 50:1 . In fact some say it would run leaner at 40:1 simply as there is less fuel ...

Take off the exhaust and check for the sake of undoing 4 screws and a few minutes.

As spud says scoring on the piston isn't good news but doesn't mean it will cost a fortune either or the saws junk.

Ive known larger saws tuned for longer bars and a shorter bar used and seizures taken place fairly quickly due to overrevving. Also husqvarnas seem to need to be tuned more frequently compared to stihl in my experience.

45-1 wont damage your engine which isn't an issue in this case I don't think (just an unlucky coincidence) . Its like having the correct engine oil in your car but if your going to scream it up the motorway in 4th gear its going to get warm/hot

Edited by wisecobandit

Well looks like i can change the name of this thread to Definate 357 problem !!. Brought it into the dealer other day . Dropped around this morning to see how it was going , out came one of the workshop guys with the exhaust removed . As one of the posters here had said , dry , white with vertical scores an ive a problem and thats exactly the way it was .

The guy said mix had to be the cause , im religous about consistant 40: 1 genuine husqy mix but had put 2 tanks of 45: 1 stihl in it when it met its waterloo .

The saw was always a bit finnicky it has to be said and was back in the dealers 3 times before it was running right . Early problems waere over - revving and sounding as if it was "hunting" for fuel . (usually id expect XP saws to have great throttle response) .

Ironically i had it at a little bit of softwood the day before the problem and i thought to myself it was going like a rocket finally .

This all points to the change in mix being the problem logically but i still find it hard to credit it would be so finely balanced ?.

As it stands a 251 Stihl (which im pretty sure id a semi - pro saw has comfortably outlasted it at much the same work )

P.S. it was always exceptionally easy on fuel , something i never thought was quite right either .