Daft stuff you did as kids

ArthurBottlesworth

As soon as bangers were on sale it was time to make cannons. A metal tube about an inch diameter was flattened at the end just leaving enough room to insert a banger fuse. Fix it to a block of wood with big staples and charge it with the contents of a few penny bangers. The usual load was a nut and bolt with some packing around it to get a good seal. That was enough to go through a few shed walls. The biggest ever load was a cold chisel. That went through a cricket pavilion and 100 yards down the field.

lol, used to do exactly the same, then got into pipe bombs, frightening really, set one off one evening with me mate, on a man hole cover outside this blokes house we did,nt like, took the man hole cover out and a few of the blokes windows:blushing: police heli up, nether did get found out.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We done that with black widows :thumbup1:

Also done it with "the gat" air pistol things and agreed on "body shot only" however I still have the scar on 1 cheek to prove we could never keep to our word :001_rolleyes: How no one lost an eye was beyond me.. :blushing:

We had fights with air rifles. Used wheat as ammo. Kept the grains in our mouths so they swelled up a bit and didn't fall out of the barrel:001_smile:

lost count of the daft things i did as a nipper,stealing the crow bangers from watercress beds was a regular pastime,as was throwing cow **** in the watercress beds, similar to the first post,me and my brother diverted the course of the river by opening up the sluice gates,flooding cow fields,got caught for that one !! happy days

When I was in 5th grade I had a really mean teacher that truly lived to make my school year in her class a living He double hockey sticks. Every kid would bring a toy now and again to school and the school rule was you could bring your toys to school however only play with them after lunch during recess. Fair enough except not good enough for Mrs. Heath

If any members remember the movie A Christmas Story featuring Ralphy go back to the seen wher Ralphies teacher had a deep desk drawer full of games and toys collected over the school year. Now understand that Ralphies teacher was an angel compared to my teacher. In any event one day she did a random search of my desk and I was unable to hide my best Hot Wheels Mustang from her and she stole it from me. It wasn't bad enough that she took everything from all of the students she would brag about how she would give all of the toys out for her Two nephews in South Dakota every year for Christmas or their birthdays!. I reached a breaking point and came up with a plan to liberate all of the stolen booty and make sure said items would be returned to the rightful owners.

The plan consisted of Only One trusted conspirator as a look out, a fair amount if timing and a whole lot of luck. Since the cafeteria was directly across from my class room and the students left the room from left to right rows I was in the last row and my buddy Robert sat in front of me. When it came time for my turn to walk out of the class room I turned to Mrs Heath and said Mrs Heath I really need to go to the bathroom very bad!!!!, can I please go now while holding my crotch in fainted anguish. She looked at me and said go to the bathroom right now and get your butt in line. Mean while Robert ducked back out of sight and as I walked towards the bathroom door and saw the Witch, Mrs Heath she yell at me one more time Hurry up!. She went into the lunch room and history was in the making.

With Robert as my look out I quickly without any though of if I got caught or being punished empty that really deep drawer into my really deep winter coat pockets and any where else I could find a holding spot. Before I knew it the deed was done and as I thanked Robert he came in a seperate entrance to the cafeteria as I came through the door to stand in line for my lunch to be served. Robert, I pulled off the single greatest version of Robin Hood, I mean Ted in the history of Scaggsvile elementary schools history.

During lunch neither one of us could actually believe what we had accomplished and than came the moment of truth when after lunch recess and I told Robert to tell everyone if they wanted all of their toys back to see me right than and their.

The response was fast and an understood vow of silence was assured. My celebrity status lasted until the rest of the school day and than the next day Mrs. Heath, AKA The Witch was a changed person. Seemingly over night she must have checked her inventory and realized One brave young man who suffer verbal and physical abuse from her up to that point put her and her grand kids from South Dakota in their places once and for all.

The routine stealing of toys ment for playing during recess ended and in spite of no evidence against the suspected students the Witches attitude and physical abuse ended as well. This is a true story, and I suspect the statue of limitations have run out long ago.

easy-lift guy

Edited by easy-lift guy
Spelling

I grew up in a place called Rose Green and about 200m from my house was a field where the land owners horse used to live; we spent every summer making camps, climbing the trees and generally having a blast; a few events spring to mind:

1. Making bow and arrows and firing them into the air directly above our heads and playing chicken to see who would move first

2. We decided to try and dismantle the old barn by removing the nails; I turned a bit sharpish and caught the side of my face, right next to my right eye; I went running home confronting my poor mum with a covered eye and blood running down my arm. Luckily it missed my eye but I still have the scar 35 years later

3. Climbing the row of Monterey cypress, weaving the branches together to make a base and throw the cones down at unsuspecting passers bye

What fun........

We used to climb trees to the rookery where my dad worked. They were massive even though we were under 10 years old and couldn't reach the bottom branches. We used to "borrow" some 6" nails from the shed and knock them in with a brick to get to the lower branches then climb up another 30 or 40 feet. We also used to play skimming tin lids on some ground near home and I once threw one in the air and it did a boomerang impression and came back to hit me in the forehead giving me a gash and some impressive blood running down the face. I ran back to the house and our next door neighbour saw me and she promptly fainted needing more treatment than I did. We were taught from a very early age not to point an air rifle at anyone loaded or otherwise, my aunt still has a pellet lodged in her face from someone not following orders and could have lost an eye or worse.

Fishing on the Thames at Runnymede one sunny day.

Got fed up with the pillocks in their ponsy boats cutting too close to the bank, going too fast causing large wash etc.

After some two way abuse with mr and mrs Ponsonby I made a cricket ball size lump of ground-bait, mushed in a handful of maggots then lobbed the 'grenade' onto the deck of their boat. The ensuing splat released the maggots and led to the most amusing screams from the Ponsonby family.