Welcome new members

Steve Bullman

Hi all, just a quick hello.

I'm a forester and arboriculturist. I've recently set up on my own after 6 years LA and private arboriculture for a large company. Was born into a forestry family, my screen name (and company) is named after my dad and granddad who worked all their lives for the same estate.

Bread and butter work is woodcutting chestnut for my own pales, posts and charcoal but also doing as much consultancy as I can get my hands on, which at the moment is a veteran and ecological survey for an estate's EWGS. Hoping some 5837 surveys and safety audits will come wandering in at some point!!

Hold a degree, Tech Cert, Prof Tree Insp and the usual chainsaw modules.

If I'm any good at anything its P&D and fungi so maybe I can help some people out in return for info on how to run my splendid company lol...

Nice to meet you all, :thumbup:

Hopefully be in touch.

Chris

Hi all you new members . I was a new member once and know where you are at . It is a cracking site with a wealth of knowledge and differing opinions . Every one I have encountered has been friendly and helpful . There are some characters on here believe me . Wait till you come across Jon ( mediplogs ) you will learn a whole new way of speaking .... Bless him !

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, another new member here, Looks like a good site for all kinds of information. I think I shall be having a very good browse when I have a bit more time.

I live out in the South west of France, my main wood cutting duties are pretty much for firewood. My dad has about 30acres of woodland which we are working on. My tools are pretty much toys to what the pros use, but I'll get there eventually.

Hi all you new members . I was a new member once and know where you are at . It is a cracking site with a wealth of knowledge and differing opinions . Every one I have encountered has been friendly and helpful . There are some characters on here believe me . Wait till you come across Jon ( mediplogs ) you will learn a whole new way of speaking .... Bless him !

HI STUBBY MY MATE thanks for that mate my somerset TALK IM MEN DIP LOGS TO SOME i just like say to all you new member welcome i find it a friendly forum and STEVE AND THE MOBS DO A GOOD JOB JOBS A GOODEN JON :thumbup:

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all,

After recently finding this site via Google, I thought I'd join as I've been looking into getting the Cs31/32 qualification.

Lots of useful advice etc on here, it's going to take me a while to read through and see what's what though.

Hello All, finally found the welcome page (after posting my first post).

I'm at present working (temping) for the Natural Resources Wales, in the: Wales, Harvesting and Marketing department.

I'm trying to get experience in forestry, ideally to work outdoors with them or be self-employed (havent decided, and depends what jobs come up).

I've already completed a 5 day basic chainsaw course, got cs30 assesment coming up, and hoping to find some trees to fell to get some practice on.

Before this I ran my own business sitting farms and smallholdings for 4 and a bit years all over wales.

Edited by Pel

Hi all, another new member here that has only just seen this section, and I was looking for an intro page too, but being a bloke unless it jumps out and slaps ya, were bound to miss it.

anyway, married with kids living in essex, full time night working pest controller for london underground, up until last year my main hobbies were riding motorbikes and shooting, tried clays but never liked it, so all shooting was pest control related, shotguns,rimfire etc, then my mother died and left me some money, not wanting to see myself wasting it away I bought a 7 acre plot of woodland in Kent with full sporting rights.

although I don't want to shoot everything that moves in it, it looks like it has been unmanaged for a number of years and walking within was near on impossible, so we have amassed a small collection of brush cutting strimmers and chainsaws, which in turn led me to this forum, we are currently cutting out pathways and a large central clearing for camping in, will be nice to be able to stay over night there and see what wildlife we have,

not wanting to cut masses of trees down, in fact none at all, but there is hazel that needs coppicing, and therefore need to brush up on woodland management.

I like the idea on carving stuff, not just big stuff, but also spoons etc, getting back to nature, discover the wildlife, and on occasions, blowing its head off, cooking and eating it:001_smile:

Hey all, thanks for having me. My name is as it says, my ancestors were turfed out of your fine country some years ago for untenable crimes such as steeling a loaf of bread:001_tt2:. I lurk around a few forums picking up a bits and offering some of my experiences. Have lived life around, currently the manager of a commercial cattle property and a rural contractor (fencing, hay/silage and earth moving etc). Have a nice girl to look after (me) a couple of mutts and horses as well as few hundred bovines wandering around. Spare time sees me water skiing, traveling outback oz, studying or community engagement as a vol firery. As for tree work I am an experienced and qual'd advanced faller with a cert III in arb and whilst have a complex climbing qual consider myself a novice. I love trees both planting and removing (if necessary) and my true passion lies in failure analysis.

I look forward to getting to know some you over time.

Cheers

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there

Great site :thumbup1:

Moved up to the Lake District last year and now have a wood as our garden and lots of new toys to play with - currently have 3 chainsaws, log splitter, clearing saw/strimmer, quad, etc, etc

• 1 month later...

Greetings all. I thought my first post should be on the new member area.

My name is Graham, I chose JLA as its the kids initials. I'm leaving the Royal Navy after 6 year and taking the combined course (mod leavers) with Kingswood training.

I'm trying to find my way around this site. Only running on the iPhone app as my comp, has decided it doesn't like the Internet. I hope to eventually get round to reading most topics but if anyone can point out threads that would be of use to me early on, I would be grateful.