Welcome new members

Steve Bullman

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum & just wanted to say hello.

My name's Dan, I moved from Somerset to Bonny Scotland about a year ago & recently got married to my lovely wifey...

I look forward to getting to know a few tree folk & having a chat with you.

Welcome to the forum mate! There's tons on here with everything from stumpgrinders to suspenders (you'll soon meet the sussy wearer; swears by them whilst climbing :laugh1:). Good to meet you. :001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for welcoming new members :001_smile:

... My reason for joining is that I'm trying to help manage a woodland of 21 acres in Kent, and there's a plantation on the ancient woodland, which needs to be gradually removed. The plantation is mostly Scots Pine and Larch, though there's a mixed understory - some hazel and birch etc. as well. I'm just wondering if there's any market for the Scots Pine and Larch (around 3 acres of 60 year old trees), and if some-one on this site were managing it what they would do with the timber? It's on a sloping hill, in an ancient woodland, which makes extraction a bit more difficult. Is it best to try and get grants to pay people to fell the trees, or is there any way to to sell the timber, and get enough to make it self-funding, or add to any existing grants I can get. It's alot of work to take down all those trees, and I'm just wondering if the value of the timber itself could make it worth it, and pay someone's wages for doing it, if they were able to sell the timber on (in addition to any grant money I can get hold of)? Or I'm wondering whether to get a secondhand mobile sawmill, or whether anyone on this site has a sawmill, and is based near Kent, and would might be interested in the timber? Thanks for any advice :biggrin:

Evening folks... my name's Lisa. I'm not a tree surgeon and I'm not going to pretend I know jack about cutting trees (if i do, feel free to put me in my place ;) ) ...but my partner and I are starting our own business shortly and you seem to have a wealth of information here so I figured it would be a good place to hang around ;)

I will be dealing with admin/financial side of things... OH has been a qualified tree surgeon for 15 years working for a large commercial firm as their main climber so has plenty of experience under his belt. We're lucky enough to be located in a National Trust Deer park and are just looking into buying our first tipping landrover from Nenes overland... took a look round last weekend, the guys there seem to know their shizzle :thumbup1:

So anyway, hello... :001_cool:

...cute kid! we have two of those in varying sizes... considering selling one to finance this landy :001_tongue:

You're trying to sell one of your kids to finance a Landy...?:w00t::001_tt2:

Welcome; believe me you're not the only tree non-expert here but tons of info on just about every subject going finds its way onto the forum so relax and enjoy.

you'll be lucky...i cant give mine away!! tried them on ebay with a .99p starting bid and still no takers!

how about hiring them out? I have a 14month old that eats everything in sight... could be a good for valeting!

...constantly removing stuff from her chops... at one point I thought she was actually producing woodchips rather than consuming them:lol:

how about hiring them out? I have a 14month old that eats everything in sight... could be a good for valeting!

...constantly removing stuff from her chops... at one point I thought she was actually producing woodchips rather than consuming them:lol:

Now that would put a definate end to the discussion about Mr Blair's Gloria verses tracked chippers... A walking (crawling!?!) easy acess chipper with very little emission and noice (?) that would put a smile on your customers face and be the perfect sales pitch...

Welcome to the forum!