Reaction wood

waz77

Well'I am hoping to cite Shigo (and Thomas, I think) on this sort of thing soon. Right after the wean has gone to bed, I have cooked and had my dinner, downloaded my survey data from today, sadi hello to wife, watched the Mentalist (my one guilty pleasure). I may be gone for some time...

I meant to add, I seem to have a suitabler dod of wood outside that needs carved a la Shigo, to illustrate a point. Will wait till teh neighbours are out. 114dB of Husq harmonia is rarely welcome in victorian suburbia.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anyone out there with a copy of the Dictionary that was published alongside Shigo's New Tree Biology that could help out by looking up a few definitions for me? I have what I need form the other authoritative texts.

The key ones are -

Adaptive Growth

Reaction Wood

Compression Wood

Tension Wood

Any help appreciated, thanks. It would even help me to know if Shigo does not have definitions.

Pending any new definitions from Sloth's Shigo dictionary, attached is a draft, it is too big to put up as a post so I am having to attach it as a pdf. Any comments welcome. Final version will probably end up on my website, with asssistance acknowledged. Do you think it needs some illustrations?

Here's the summary for those that can't be bothered reading it (it was hard work writing, I imagine it will be a hard read).

Reactive wood. There's no such term in reputable use. It means nothing and may just be the bastard child of REACTion wood and adaptIVE growth.

Reaction wood. Paraphrasing the best source on this "Wood forming in place of normal wood as a result of the response of the (auxing regulated) cambial cells to gravity"

Adaptive growth - NB this is a process, not a kind of wood. "The process whereby wood formation is influenced both in quantity and quality by the action of gravitational force and mechanical stresses on the cambial zone".

So, adaptive growth can result in reaction wood, but as the adaptation is due to other non-gravity related mechanical stresses it is probably best to avoid the term 'reaction wood'.

Here's how I'm going to remember which is which. AG stands for Adaptive Growth but it also stands for ... And Gravity, reminding me that gravity is just one of the things that influences the formation of reaction wood.

That means reaction wood relates only to combatting gravitational forces. Let's say RW stands for Reaction Wood but also for Resisting Weight.

Am off to lie down now...

My website (currently under a lot of change) by the way is jamtrees.co.uk

reaction wood.pdf

Edited by daltontrees

Hmm, I haven't seen the dictionary since I moved house 3yrs ago. I'm certain it's in a box somewhere, I'll have to dig a little deeper tomorrow. I suspect it will be with a copy of PH Bridgemans Tree Surgery which I've thought about selling, so there's extra incentive for me to find it!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Arbtalk mobile app

Your attachment seems to be the visual part (a MS Powerpoint presentation) of a lecture and containing no defintions. It is not as far as I can tell a scientific article. Are you referring to some supporting article and if so can you provide the citation please?