Reaction wood

waz77

Now I think I understand what you think I don't understand (might have got lost there!)

But in your final paragraph you're still defining reaction wood as a response to something out of the ordinary. So the off centre pith in most branches in response to gravity, isn't reaction wood? Cause obviously gravity isn't an abnormal circumstance.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really not trying to be ackward, just interested.

I suppose its hard when a response to something everyday like gravity is the same response you would get to something less common like moving ground. Guess the tree just grows (as you said) and the nomenclature needs to recognise that and not pigeon hole things.

Really not trying to be ackward, just interested.

I suppose its hard when a response to something everyday like gravity is the same response you would get to something less common like moving ground. Guess the tree just grows (as you said) and the nomenclature needs to recognise that and not pigeon hole things.

I'm interested too. I have been looking into this for almost an hour and the answer is both simple and very complicated. I have made a page of notes that I need to distill into a concise form. Basically not all asymmetrical growth is due to gravity, not all adaptive growth is triggered by gravity and not all wood arising from adaptive growth is reaction wood. Got that? No, me neither. But I almost have. Gimme another day...

Would be interesting to see (over time) how/if wood changed on a tree that had lost its neighbour due to being loaded (or not) by additional wind force, eh Jules :wink::biggrin:

Well'I am hoping to cite Shigo (and Thomas, I think) on this sort of thing soon. Right after the wean has gone to bed, I have cooked and had my dinner, downloaded my survey data from today, sadi hello to wife, watched the Mentalist (my one guilty pleasure). I may be gone for some time...