working on a building site

54gka

Been ask to look at some tree work on a demolition site.Someone said that i might need some type of cscs card or is the NPTC id card equivalent.This is a big step from the gardening and tree work that i do so before i do a site visit i want to do some research.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes CSCS cards are needed for labourers on any site. Your cs cards will allow the use of a saw.

Depends on the company running the site. Some never ask to see them, others are very strict. And you can even get into needing for the chippers.

Do a site visit and see what's said. If you are not allowed on without the CSCS then you will know. If the area can be cordoned off from the building site then you are not on a building site but your own site.

Yeah, get your cscs card and you should be covered. It's a pretty simple test but you'll want to read through the book or the online test questions first. Not very expensive either and lasts 5 years .

Would be worth having a generic method statement and site specific risk assessment form to show them too.

I should of added that each site I have worked on I have had to undergo the sites own health & safety course which usually only takes around 45 mins.

But if you are going to contract long term on sites then the card would be beneficial to you.

Remember that you are a paid skilled contractor on their site & should have adequate insurance cover.

Yes CSCS cards are needed for labourers on any site. Your cs cards will allow the use of a saw.

Depends on the company running the site. Some never ask to see them, others are very strict. And you can even get into needing for the chippers.

Do a site visit and see what's said. If you are not allowed on without the CSCS then you will know. If the area can be cordoned off from the building site then you are not on a building site but your own site.

Yeah dose depend on the company, I would get a CSCS card just to be sure. I worked in the demolition site of the old derby police station dismantling a tree. Was never asked for my card but did have to attend a 15min health and safety talk on site.

Good luck and have fun.

I always found that the bigger the company getting you in, the more anal they are. I did some whip planting once, on a totally separate site from where the rest of the work was going on, and they wanted us to wear steel toecaps, hi-viz, gloves, eye protection and hard hats. We were working in the middle of a field. :001_rolleyes: