Advice on large yew tree

Jenny1234

Question

I would be very grateful for any advice. I live in a large house in the Cotswolds, approximately 300 years old. There is a very large yew tree (taller than the house) within about 3 metres of the house. As far as I am aware, this tree is not protected by any TPO.

This tree causes quite a nuisance as it blocks out a lot of light to my house. It overhangs my neighbours' garden and reduces light to their garden too. I have heard that yew can be poisonous, and as I have small children, this is also a worry to me. I would really like to have the whole tree removed. We have, in previous years, had it reduced in height, but this hasn't solved the problems.

I would like to know how I can determine whether it is safe to cut down this tree. A google search has suggested that I might be worried about "heave" and that I might need to know what soil type I have before making a decision about cutting down the tree.

I would welcome any advice from anyone who has any knowledge on this subject. My gardening knowledge is very limited!

they don't have to look that old to be ancient.

my understanding is that the only part of the yew that is not poisonous is the red fleshy bit of the berry as birds eat them they pass the cone and so don't get poisoned.

i may be biased but leave the tree, it was there first...

Meant to say that too-

Red flesh is not poisonous, but all the rest is.

Yup, leave the tree, fence it off from the kids, and educate them very early that yew trees along with other poisonous trees should be avoided- worked with me!

Here is a photo of the tree, taken from our neighbours' garden. The chimney of our house is highlighted in red so you can see how much taller than the house it is - it didn't all fit in the photo, but the top is not much above the top of the picture.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zki789ecdif5l95/20140322_142024_HDR_resized%20-%20HouseHighlighted.jpg

its only poisonous if the kids eat the leaves.....

A sheep will die if it injests more than a mouthful - had to deal with dead lambs which ate fly-tipped hedge clippings a few years back.

As for growth rates - a 400 y old yew can be very small indeed, and not much bigger than a standard detached house - so the yew could easily pre-date any house. They live for 1500+ years with ease, and grow very slow.

Id get a local Arb opinion on the tree and ask the council if its a tpo.

ALSO your house is old, you may be in a conservation area, so you will need to notify the council of the work in advance as well.

The berries aren't poisonous (as others said). The seed within is poisonous but only if chewed. The lethal dose for a child would be many berries (nearly a gram of dried seed) and not just one. So the reality is that children are not killed by eating yew berries. I've got lots of yew trees in my garden and my children seemed to have survived to adulthood.

If you want to cut it down then talk to the council first. From the looks of it its probably a lot older than your house so pitty to lose it.

That's a big yew tree! They take a long time to get 12" diameter, 2+ feet wide and you're probably talking around the same age as your home, if not more, have it reduced and thinned rather than felled, you'd be surprised how old these things turn out to be!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App