Living In a Caravan

woodrich

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen the posh caravans and have seen the loos/showers in them. Still wouldn't want to live in one.

I had a bowtop in my younger days. Pretty much nothing in one of them and I think it was for the better. Cooking outside on a fire is a much better idea than inside.

If forced to leave my house and live in a caravan I think I would prefer a bowtop to a tintop. :)

If you're not tidy already, you'll soon learn to be so... or drown in untidiness. Lived for four years in a static with other people. I'm tidy, two of my colleagues at different times were messy. One kept his mess mainly to himself. The other was hell to live with; he just didn't care about anything. So be tidy.

You'll have a finite space. If something can't perform more than one function, it doesn't get a home. Learn what works for you space wise and replace things in the same place every time.

Good insulation is important but being able to air the place when the weather is fine is also good. If you seal yourself in too good, damp will soon be a problem. Again, learn what works for you.

Get a good friend to accept mail for you and or get a PO Box setup. If you decide on a static, get somewhere away from places that collect water. I remember one autumn & winter, having to wear waders just to gain access and the continued flood waters sloshing against the underside of the floor for weeks at a time.

Try to keep away from wind swept areas. It's great for drying clothes but an epic in very high winds. I can also remember a storm, that prompted us to lash the whole thing to the ground with anchored cables. Didn't get any sleep during the next storm. But at least we weren't in fear for our lives.

Generating elec. will be problematic but there ways to this end. Not available at the time but maybe a small portable wind turbine would be the thing.

Getting enough water when it's hot and keeping out the water when it's inclement, can be a problem. Though the latter is more easily solved. If something seem a little faulty, do something about it, as soon an funds are available and the weather is good. Little faults can quickly become big & expensive faults if left. Don't paint over the cracks. Fix the underlying cause, then fix the cracks, then paint over them.

Where bare wood is visible and if you have the choice. Go for an oil finish. Varnish may have a lovely shine but oil is cheaper overall and doesn't take so long to dry or prep. It might be, that come the time for re-coats, you might not get enough consecutive fine days to finish a full re-varnish. Oil is easier to prep. for & and quicker to apply.

Edited by TGB

Maybe try visiting the website Tiny Teardrops Forum ...

People share tips on living or traveling with teardrop trailers, converted cargo trailers, etc..

It's a two piece setup with a vehicle, and maybe that's not practical, but if it might be, check it out.

I converted a cargo trailer for camping and it was comfortable in 3 seasons. Would have been simple to put an air conditioner on it too, except I went to the coast a lot where it is not hot in summer.

interior_2.jpg.a24cb0b94c7a2d4c84ff63c1b7e35f3a.jpg

interior_1.jpg.dda5504542f256d0d523795e2c3a8247.jpg

IMG_9122.jpg.703bc3c2b05fd251a629f1e9878cb0e8.jpg

IMG_9112.jpg.e9959146b13462ef97c955760cc44815.jpg

This is only a quick reply to let you all know I have read your posts.

I am overwhelmed by all your kindness to be honest.

Thank you for your interest and taking the time to post.

I will be back later.

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Arbtalk mobile app

• 1 month later...

Iv lived in caravan full time & loved it all mail went to my yard, but you need the right caravan & if your planing on towing it about then you need eather a Hobby, Tabbert , or LMC as there good German vans insulated so cool in summer and warm in winter stay away from dry vans as you'll want toilet shower kitchen sink, I put extra water tanks in mine I had a hobby 720 ( 29ft ) so end king size bedroom, toilet shower dinning table and horse shoe seating I loved it ( got a static now ) if I was to do it again I'd go for the hobby with the full end barthroom

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm in!

Nothing posh, Coachman Mirage 1998. Dry, warm and comfortable.

I'm on a nice site too, an old orchard, or they could be Hornbeam!

Lots of wildlife, horses, tractors who needs a tele. I'm sitting watching the evening sun go down with a cuppa and chocolate tea cakes.

I feel truly blessed.

I know some of you have sadness in your lives at the moment. Keep strong the clouds will clear and the Sun shine once more.

Thank you all again for the help.

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Arbtalk mobile app