Petzl Croll

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ascenders are required to break above 4kn. setting anchors remotely and them deflecting etc can generate forces that exceed that. idustry specific testing & research has been done on the matter and had interesting results, especially on DB. irata climbers back up on asaps, buddys etc we do not. If your happy with a system BS just over 4kn then thats your prerogative. I would not advise anyone to use simply a pair of toothed ascenders as sole attachment in our industry. There have been accidents during canopy access on these systems, accidents that would not have had such serious consequences if the practitioners were on a better suited, alternative system.

I agree with your opinion, though we cannot draw similarities with irata our needs differ.

I have always been a little concerned with using toothed ascenders as my sole means of attachment ascending the tree, at the same time we have to be realistic here it's not like I or the many other daily commercial climbers I work with have been playing Russian roulette all these years and I can assure you my safety is extremely important to me, I am neither fool hardy or reckless in my approach to tree work.

In regards to these accidents are there any details you can give or references to what occurred? Again let's be realistic accidents occur I know of a few even when climbing using industry best practice-human error, equipment failure and the organic living structures we climb.

I appreciate there are better alternatives as yet I have not seen many perfect quick and easy systems other than a unicender to suit my needs.

I am still waiting, when I look into my crystal ball I do see something on the horizon:sneaky2:

Until then I'll carry on looking down the barrel of the gun.

I agree with your opinion, though we cannot draw similarities with irata our needs differ.

I have always been a little concerned with using toothed ascenders as my sole means of attachment ascending the tree, at the same time we have to be realistic here it's not like I or the many other daily commercial climbers I work with have been playing Russian roulette all these years and I can assure you my safety is extremely important to me, I am neither fool hardy or reckless in my approach to tree work.

In regards to these accidents are there any details you can give or references to what occurred? Again let's be realistic accidents occur I know of a few even when climbing using industry best practice-human error, equipment failure and the organic living structures we climb.

I appreciate there are better alternatives as yet I have not seen many perfect quick and easy systems other than a unicender to suit my needs.

I am still waiting, when I look into my crystal ball I do see something on the horizon:sneaky2:

Until then I'll carry on looking down the barrel of the gun.

Get a unicender marc, you won't regret it

Get a unicender marc, you won't regret it

So you would say the Unicender is where it's at then. My only concern was service life, it's a lot of money for something that may only last a year. Hopefully they will bring out a more durable one.

Would the klemheist still grab well enough when needed on a single line?

Jake:thumbup1:

I have footlocked up a single line using a klemheist before. It grabbed well on that occasion. I was using 8mm cord.

However this is not industry best practice nor would I recommend anyone ascend a single line with a klemheist as their sole attachment.

I was just musing about using it as a backup should a toothed ascender shred the rope below it.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Service life with the uni has a lot to do with how you use it. Either way, it will make its money back for you long before it wears out. Climbing on a croll and changing over sounds awful.

:001_smile: depends we are not all equal in the way we apply ourselves in the work place.

When I worked with someone who used a uni he had to run 2 as life span was only 3 months before they needed servicing, this was the Thompson tree tools device, although when rock exotica took it on the professional intensive life span was stated at only 3months so put me off making the purchase.

I do not climb so much so would probably get a decent life span.

It's also never been about the money for me, if I can see a tools true value to saving me time and energy I will buy it.

As for change overs it always been like that and our preferred work method, we all use srt ascent, an appropriate line is installed and used only for access and left in the tree for the duration of the works unless it gets in the way, we often climb with 2 or more in a tree. Hell once we had 5 climbers in a tree all used the same ascent rescue line. I couldn't imagine climbing without having an independent access line in place.

Edited by Marc