Help- working out calorific values

StephF

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work on the KISS method!

1 kilogramme of dry timber will produce approx 3 kilowatts of heat.

So weigh your load and presto there's the answer.

codlasher

Not being picky, but that would be 3 kilowatt hours

Steph, this might be the best customer you ever get, tell him earnestly how much heat you believe you logs would give, what good value they are, compared with oil or electricity and you will have a customer for life (possibly :001_smile:)

With logs, the most valuable part of the equation is the customer

Have I said something to offend? Not only have I answered your question and told you how I have answered it and given you the facility to tweak the answer for any situation, but I have tried to explain why a customer might genuinely want to know what the calorific value is. And I have compared it with the calorific value of gas and electricity and given you a way of showing customers how cost-effective logs are.

Your instinct to try and answer your awkward customer question is sound. If I had the option to shop in two places and one of the suppliers couldn't answer my sensible questions, I would go with the other guy. Honestly, it's not hard to prove the case for logs. He's not an awkward customer, he's a customer, and the customer is always right even when he is wrong. And sometimes an awkward customer is trying you out for bigger things. Or can bad-mouth you rightly or wrongly to other potential customers. It pays to persevere.

Ignore the opportunity if you like, it's your business.

Challenge my figures or calculations or reasoning by all means if you want, debate is healthy and I'm not always right.

Ignore me too if you want. I shan't try to help again.

I think I have just encountered a complete nutter on phone/email, so not sure why I'm bothering but... he wants to know what is the calorific value of my 3 metre load?

I feel challanged to have a go and tell him the answer, but not a clue how to find this out. I asked him if he had a gasifying boiler and thought maybe he needed to know for the FIT etc. But no, he just wants to know. He is also presuming the 3 metres comes in 'A bag'. I suspect he will be moisture testing each log, they average between 15-20%. :confused1:

OhGod!!!! i think that could be my Brother…… thats exactly his style…. when the oil man delivers he asks what the moisture and silt content is!:lol:

Jukes

Are you absolutely sure your figures are right? I've never seen wood look so cheap in comparison to gas

Cheers

D

I'll have a look just now...

Meantime does anyone want to suggest what a going rate for a tonne of 20% moisture would be, split and delivered?

I supply softwood to a turkish pizza oven with no problems

I was going to question that too.

I have two wood fired pizza ovens and put in whatever wood is available?...............surely in a retained heat oven operating at the correct temp, wood type is irrelevant?