Spalted Beech

Chrisy B

Hmm I've heard that marketing boards, beams etc is the hardest part time and time again which is probably why so much beautiful timber ends up as logs! is there not a market for an online market place for decent timber??

Tis a mega hard market to crack! It's all worth a fortune until you find someone to buy it!

Selling timber is the hardest part - I have an ebay shop now and it's starting to shift some wood but still slow Timber sales, Sugihara guidebars Stihl items in chainsawbars alaskanmill and treet store on eBay!

Bear in mind it takes an age to photo and upload to ebay so I give someone 20% of the sold price for doing this.

20% uploading commission

20% vat

10% ebay fees

3% paypal

5% on making up the postage and packing materials

2% for returns/problems

20% Cost of wood/planing/prepping/storage

5% admin and misc

Profit 15%

Not alot! But if you were not vat registered and did everything yourself you could do better.

:001_smile:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tis a mega hard market to crack! It's all worth a fortune until you find someone to buy it!

Selling timber is the hardest part - I have an ebay shop now and it's starting to shift some wood but still slow Timber sales, Sugihara guidebars Stihl items in chainsawbars alaskanmill and treet store on eBay!

Bear in mind it takes an age to photo and upload to ebay so I give someone 20% of the sold price for doing this.

20% uploading commission

20% vat

10% ebay fees

3% paypal

5% on making up the postage and packing materials

2% for returns/problems

20% Cost of wood/planing/prepping/storage

5% admin and misc

Profit 15%

Not alot! But if you were not vat registered and did everything yourself you could do better.

:001_smile:

probably because you are charging too much.

this one works out at £150ft3

Lot 4005 Cedar Ripple wood/timber/plank/board 213cm x 19.3cm x 2.1cm | eBay

you've listed some nice timber rob but i'd never buy wood at the prices you are asking.

probably because you are charging too much.

this one works out at £150ft3

Lot 4005 Cedar Ripple wood/timber/plank/board 213cm x 19.3cm x 2.1cm | eBay

you've listed some nice timber rob but i'd never buy wood at the prices you are asking.

Different market though Steve. For finished timber, sold as individual pieces, you have to charge that much to stand a chance of making anything. Check out Lanarkshire Hardwoods if you really want to blow your mind!

Different market though Steve. For finished timber, sold as individual pieces, you have to charge that much to stand a chance of making anything. Check out Lanarkshire Hardwoods if you really want to blow your mind!

just for putting it through a planer wont add that much on it...

i know of lanarkshire hardwoods and wonder how they can be in business.

if a board is downright stunning then you can charge an awful lot for it but it must be AAAAA grade to command those sorts of prices.

I started a shop on ebay about 7 years ago when there was money to be made on there, there was probs about six people on there then selling wood full time ,, looking on there now theres about 15 or 20 ,,

I miss it as used to get rid of lots of small bits which i now BURN ,, But alot of hassle and when i finnished my shop a ouple of years ago my accountant said my costs worked out approx 24%,,

i think Rob d has the best idea gettin someone else t list as it takes ages with my crap internet conection

I was ordering some longer rails for the mill from Rob (Rob D on here) and asked whether I should have anything else? He recommended a winch, which I had seen pics of on other threads. Rob sells a complete kit it all comes in a box and works straight out the box. After you mill with it you will never mill without it again! It is Magic I will get a video up later.