Ifor Williams Tipper

CCB

Hi, i bought an Ifor Williams 12ft tipper today, i am told there is a wander lead for it, but they are going to have to look it out! the trailer has been well used, but it hasnt done much for a year now! i tried to tip it manually, it raised about 2ft would go any higher, the pump resistance felt non existent! then i had to disconect the line at the ram to let it down! what could be wrong? and what is the procedure to manually tip an ifor? any help would be great!

Cheers

Sounds like low oil level or water in the oil, too get it too come back down you will find a little bolt with a slot in on the top of the pump, undo this counter clockwise and it'll release the pressure and drop the bed back down.

sent while pretending to do something important on my mobile.

Sae 10 w40 will do nicely but 32 hydraulic oil is correct,you will need to flush the system,remove the tank,if its an old one its metal if its more modern it will be plastic, so drain off all the oil you can, clean the tank,spotless will only do… any grit ect will cause problems…..add some oil then take the pipe off the ram put in the tank and run the motor,let it cycle for 30 seconds.

drain the oil again ……if you can carefully extend the ram a foot or two then release,this will get most of the oil out of the ram,

reconnect everything refill with clean oil and cycle to full extent repeat 3 or 4 times,

if it still does not cycle properly you may have dirt in a valve,remove valves clean and replace,being careful to reassemble correctly,the other major issue with IWT TIPPING GEAR IS….Stuck brushes on the motor….. just remove wipe clean and replace…..they may be stuck hard, so you risk damaging them,but brushes are cheap and can be sourced at any alternator stater motor repair workshop… £2 a set…… hope this helps….Jase

Jase, Thanks for the info! hopefully i will get the wander lead this weak! the trailer has the plastic tank, i will get the correct visc of oil (32) and do the procedure! i didnt pay a lot for the trailer so im hoping to sort it up! its got concrete residue all over it, the plan is to get some mild acid and clean it down! Thanks for advice!

Call me cynical but I hope you know the history and owner of the trailer.

A missing wander lead would make me wonder if it's a stolen trailer, if it's one of the earlier removable leads.

Sad but that's the way my mind works now :(

You could ring the "ter"people give them the chassis number on it….. but then if it is nicked……. horrible can of worms ….. wander leads are easy to get, i sometimes use a u of fence wire as i can never be bothered finding the lead……