electro-hydraulic winches

Robbyrasta

So i think i've got this right-

For a solo operator, running out 70m of cable (from a 100m roll)on a power assisted feed out system, electric hydraulic, without remote control- by the time they've returned to the tractor unit, to switch off the power assisted feed out, theres a high chance of a further length of cable dumped on the ground at the foot of the winch?

(is this likely to be a ball ache, causing the cable to kink/knot/ not feed bac in well.)

Plus the operator then has to return to the timber to attached chokers, then bac to the winch, to winch the stuff in.

I totallly understand that remote controls make life easier- but i am trying to work out if power assisted feed out is worth while to me.

Maybe i should be thinking of not getting the feed out- but getting a remote control?

Hi Rob,

really to use the powered outfeed effectively you need to have the wireless remote control option.

With the Uniforest winches the T60 radio remote (including the ability to have throttle control with an additional module) retails at £800+vat, though if bought with a winch we do usually discount it further.

To control the engine throttle you do need the additional module. On a tractor with manual throttle control it is a little actuator, on one with a electronic throttle there is a box with witchcraft in it.

You can add these later, no need to get them straight away.

You can use the outfeed with the standard corded remote, but you would have to spool the cable onto the floor, then drag it up the hill.

Bear in mind that it isnt just the fact that it pulls the cable off the drum that is beneficial.

Because it keeps a constant tension between the top pulley and the drum the possibility of getting a knot on the drum is massively reduced, and the cable winds much better on the drum.

Having reduced this possiblity the cable gets kinked far less often and therefore lasts longer.

So really, if you go with powered outfeed you really need to get the remote.

But if you do go with a winch with powered outfeed and remote you certainly wont regret it!

Most people going with the larger winches do go for the powered outfeed and remote, if you need a winch that big you are almost certainly using it commercially, and having those 2 features will make a very big difference to your productivity!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The powered outfeed adds about £800+vat. You only need save a cable or 2, or get an extra turn a day because you arent as knackered and it will have soon paid for itself.

On the uniforest winches it is worth noting that you can retrofit the unwinding device to existing winches, so you could always get it further down the line.

Hopefully that doesnt read too much as a uniforest advert, its just what I know, other brands might be similar, not sure.

Jim,

You will like this one.

I just contacted the Northern Ireland Lodar rep about a radio controller for my Krpan:001_tt2: E-H winch.

We did'nt supply that winch he replies.

Therefore we would be unable to supply a remote:001_huh::confused1::001_rolleyes:

So better buy the remote from the winch supplier.

:thumbup:

Marcus

Ps

I did like the Uniforest winch spec.

Hi Marcus,

to be honest, by changing a couple of wires the uniforest remote would probably work with any winch. All it does is put power to various wires, I have all the wiring diagrams.

I was planning on connecting one to my landrover winch some time to make that remote control!

Jim,

Exactly!! (an like wot I already knowed, unlike the rep:001_rolleyes:)

PS.

The 2 channel Lodar remote, (to IP67) with master and transmitter(whatever they are:confused1:)

is only £272.00 + VAT

I presume your "power outfeed" would also fit most any electro hydraulic winch?

Does it use the tractor hydraulics or is it all self-contained within the winchs hydraulics?

Might be in the market for a new toy? (to retro fit to my krpan)

to rekindle my waning:blushing: log cutting enthusiam.

Marcus

Jim,

Exactly!! (an like wot I already knowed, unlike the rep:001_rolleyes:)

PS.

The 2 channel Lodar remote, (to IP67) with master and transmitter(whatever they are:confused1:)

is only £272.00 + VAT

I presume your "power outfeed" would also fit most any electro hydraulic winch?

Does it use the tractor hydraulics or is it all self-contained within the winchs hydraulics?

Might be in the market for a new toy? (to retro fit to my krpan)

to rekindle my waning:blushing: log cutting enthusiam.

Marcus

It should run off the winches own self sealed hydraulics system.

• 4 weeks later...