Bottled it

Winkle

Yesterday was a bad day for me as we had been sent to reduce 2 big arse london planes in Tottenham high st. Now planes are a bastard at the best of times but these 2 were over the roofs of 5 storey buildings footpaths and a main road. I had got to site and for some reason I thought I dont like the look of these so another climber done the first one and I got up the second. I positioned my rope and had the saw sent up still in the back of my mind I was getting nervous and panicked. I did about quarter of the tree and then boom out of nowhere I had a panic attack and had to get down. I then kicked myself for the rest of the day as the other climber finished it off for me whilst I chipped up. It really got to me as ive done bigger more awkward trees in the past

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Arbtalk mobile app

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes there is something that just clicks and you get a bad feeling about something. The thing to remember is at least you went up and had a go at it. There is no point being up there if your uncomfortable as your mind won't be on what you are doing and you will not be focused on the job in hand. You only need to loose concentration for a moment and lots of things can go wrong and end up seriously hurting yourself or someone else. I think you did the right thing. Try to work out what it was that un-nerved you and then work out a way to stop it from happening again so you can stay in your comfort zone. Takes bravery to admit you didn't like it IMO!

I had the same feeling up a tree a couple year ago it was to be section felled. I cane out the the tree trying to think of a different way to do it and was kicking myself for a couple days until I drove past it and it was laid on the floor! I think you should always trust your instincts. Dont let it build up in your head mate just get up another big tree and enjoy yourself

Yesterday was a bad day for me as we had been sent to reduce 2 big arse london planes in Tottenham high st. Now planes are a bastard at the best of times but these 2 were over the roofs of 5 storey buildings footpaths and a main road. I had got to site and for some reason I thought I dont like the look of these so another climber done the first one and I got up the second. I positioned my rope and had the saw sent up still in the back of my mind I was getting nervous and panicked. I did about quarter of the tree and then boom out of nowhere I had a panic attack and had to get down. I then kicked myself for the rest of the day as the other climber finished it off for me whilst I chipped up. It really got to me as ive done bigger more awkward trees in the past

Welcome Winkle. Don't beat ya self up about it. We ALL loose our bottle now and again. You've fell off ya bike, get up and get riding it again.:thumbup1:

Edited by eggsarascal

I once had to do a 30% reduction on an ash tree in a woodland. Super tall and skinny, almost no branches for the first 40ft. Got almost all of the way up, having to tie into the stem over dead stubs, lots of branches snapping under my feet. It was my birthday. I froze for a few minutes, had to come down. I wanted to keep my momentum up, so I looked at another tree on my list. An absolutely massive beech to reduce, full of deadwood, very epilated, looked bloody horrible.

I absolutely hate giving up, but I decided to call it a day. I had enough. That was the start of a chain of events that lead to working for a different company... definitely glad to be honest. When its your life in the balance, and you aren't comfortable, people telling you to 'man up' is the last thing you need.

Don't feel bad, take a step back and start working towards that kind of tree for another day. And thanks for sharing :)

sounds like a result - job done & everybody safe :thumbup1:

You will probably never know what was going on in your head, but there are enough incidents that have occured where someone involved has said something along the lines of having a premonition or bad feeling.

You had the luxury of having another climber, you used him, job done.

there is a saying in foot launch flying circles that says 'you get old pilots and you get bold pilots, but not many old, bold pilots. This can be very easily translated to climbing I would think.

If it feels right, it probably is right, if it feels wrong it probably is wrong! Trust your instincts, that's what keeps us alive.