More timber fairies

Shane

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TBH I scavenge wood but it is always dead fallen that has been cleared from the road and DISCARDED in to the nearest ditch - I never cross a boundary without asking the land owner first and all the wood is either fallen or broken boughs.

I wouldn't trespass to take others timber or take timber that has obviously been left for later pickup - I am talking piles of ivy clad dead standing that has blown down and been cut and lobbed - I have had the land owner thank me on more than one occassion:thumbup:

It is how you do it - some take the piss, I just clear ditches and leave the site clean and tidy!

I caught a guy on my land the other day with a chainsaw merrily helping himself ! When challenged he called me a rather unsavoury word and became quite aggressive. I made him unload all the logs out of his car into my truck (I thought about throwing his chainsaw into the river). He had no safety equipment at all and no doubt if he had had an accident then he would have sued me !!! I phoned the police, not lookin to press charges but to let them know an they said that as it is 'only' trespass that it is not a chargeable offence. The lovely young lady then proceeded to inform me that as I couldn't prove that I planted the tree that I could be argue it isn't mine !!! - go figure !! I had to bite my tongue and thanked her for her kind advice !! ...Next time the saw is going in the river !

I had the same before Christmas! and this was of the travellor type I heard a chainsaw fire up on my land so ran down to where it was coming from only to be greeted by two tubby blokes no PPE trying to run up the bank to where I was totally out of breath but once they caught their breath the accent came out they were only down there knicking one of my holly trees so they could sell the holly !They cut the whole tree out and had piled it into the back of a transit van when I told them to clear off they tried to cover the stump they had cut by rubbing mud into it!.

Just last week I was working on a site and we had left a stack of wood on the roadside in the hope it would be taken nobody took it whilst we was there I left to go collect the kids from school thinking I better get back with the saw and clear it off the road onto a neighbouring drive in the 30 mins I was gone by the time I returned there was not a scrap left they had taken the whole lot saved me a load of hassle and nobody saw a thing lol

You will be surprised at what sort of people take wood and it ain't all the travelling type

Quite right! We took down a very large cedar in a church yard adjacent to a big country house ,we arrived in the morning to find the big house owners merrily barrowing away all the wood they could lift,when explained to them that this was ours and part of our contract they were both aggressive but eventually returned it .the house owner was a newly retired regional director of the National Trust!

As if he couldn't afford to buy wood ,if he asked nicely we might have sold him some ,contrary to some peoples belief wood does have a value.