Re-growth after pollarding a mature hornbeam

TreeHuggerOrNot

Question

I'd like to have our hornbeam pollarded, could anybody tell me how much it will grow after a couple of years, then after five years and then ten years? When will the branches be as thick as my arm?

We have a big problem with pigeon mess under the tree and am trying to get an idea of how quickly the pigeons will be back.

Thanks for any info.

• Answers 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Forget shooting them in the tree, buy 1 or 2 pigeon decoys an put them underneath the tree with some bread, it's easier, safer and less obvious if your shooting downward and their not tumbling out of the tree.

Remember the tree isn't the problem, the pigeons are!

Paul, the pigeon mess is the main thing, without the mess we can live with the shade (there are deciduous tree both sides of ours) and the lack of privacy for six months of the year.

The mess is big dollops, worse at this time of the year and for the next few months. I have small children who want to run around bare foot, even if I stop this they get it on their shoes. Anybody with small children knows that they get things everywhere and all over them, I can cope with mud but excrement I cannot. I've had enough of trying to scrap up mess before their friends get it all over their shoes when they come round.

We have used the lethal method with some success but the legal side worries us and any neighbours seeing us, the stereo type is air rifles are for teenage hoodlums. I've spent a lot of time on the net looking into decoys, spikes, harris hawks and pigeon contraceptives! (used in London I think). There doesn't seem to be a legal solution that works even if it takes some money/time.

I've said before it is a fantastic tree.

We once carried out some work for a guy who didn't like pigeon crap on his canal boat. He moored it on a canal at the bottom of his garden. There were two weeping willows o/h his boat and the pigeons favoured certain branches to roost. We fixed plastic anti-vandal spike strips along the branches and the pigeons moved on.

you could build/construct an arbor along the pathway and beyond. cover it with polycarb sheets and trellis and grow wisteria over it.

That sounds like an excellent idea. It's a pathway anyway so the shape is naturally defined - it's not like you would need to cover over the whole garden.

Properly designed, you would actually end up with an attractive feature, which the hornbeam is unlikely to be if hacked back (I like proper pollard forms, with growth out at a height of 6-10' or so, but this will not make one). It will also cost a lot less than the work on the tree, particularly considering the ongoing commitment. If you want some inspiration, not sure where you are in the country but try visiting David Austin Roses near Wolverhampton in June/July/August. The garden is surprisingly child friendly and the cafe is excellent. There are several avenues and covered walkways done in different styles which may be worth a look for ideas.

Ultimately, in 5-10yrs time, your children will have grown and the problem will be gone. It would be a shame if a really good specimen tree with a lifespan measurable in centuries had to be sacrificed to overcome what is such a short time in its lifetime. Hopefully there is a fix :001_smile:

Alec