losing work after quote is accepted

Will Ayers

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding this I feel you might win the battle but lose the war if you push too far. I would have a word with the guy who emailed you and express your disappointment with the way things were handled. There might be a reason for their actions. Maybe he might be able to help you in the future.

Regarding this I feel you might win the battle but lose the war if you push too far. I would have a word with the guy who emailed you and express your disappointment with the way things were handled. There might be a reason for their actions. Maybe he might be able to help you in the future.

+1 if you have been getting work from them and maybe more do you want to rock the boat its a pain. but if you fight this one how much could you loose in long run. just ask the guy who confirmed it that you see work has been done and see what he has to say. you never know someone in same department has given work without checking with his team left hand does notknow what rigth hand is doing.

never know he may say let me know what your out of pocket expences are and will settle this so you are ok. or may give you some other work to compensate for this job.

There are two considerations here, the legal position and the commercial pragmatic position you find yourself in.

I suggest picking the phone up and calling the guy that confirmed the quote and asking what happened to the job. Advise him that you have incurred costs following his acceptance of the quote but you have seen that someone else has done the job.

It may be a cock up on their part in which case they may make amends by giving you future work. You get a true measure of character (and business ethics) when things go wrong. Give them a chance to suggest what they propose to do about it.

If however, they were playing you to get a quote which they passed on to another firm so they could beat it (regrettably a common ploy with some big organisations), then regardless of size they are not worth dealing with and I would be tempted to go legal if they jerk you around.

Taking a case through the small claims court is not expensive and its not that difficult.

Same as above. I think a polite enquiry to the person that confirmed the jobs was a go might be in order. Might be a complete misscommunication internally at their end and you might find they find you some more work to make up for it. Sometimes with these big outfits there's too many fingers in the pie and the left hand doesnt know what the right hand is doing. A right royal PITA for you but sometimes simply solved with a bit of an apology and a promise of future jobs. You really dont know what happened until you talk to someone.

I don't feel as though there has been any true foul play here. I think someone has just messed up with their contracts management there are too many cooks and way too many Indians. Or something like that. Other than the profits the biggest thing I am stood to loose is my teams enthusiasm for jumping on jobs with me on this site. I use self employed guys and they are great. But this isn't the way I normally treat my guys. If I book them as a firm booking then I really hate letting them down. I'd like to recoup their wages as a good will gesture as a minimum. Sadly I'm not in a financial position to be able to do this out of my own pocket!

One of my local rivals gets his quotations signed when accepted . Which I originally thought was odd ? Then I found out that his company had booked a job in as a price was given and agreed by both parties concerned . Then when the job was due to take place my rival turned up at the job site only to find the tree had been removed a few days earlier ? So my rival took the client to court and won as a breach of contract had taken place . Therefore was awarded the full cost of the original tree removal and extra for the inconvenience . The only downfall to this was my rival was slated in the local papers :confused1: Verbal quotes are not worth a tat . It does not matter how friendly they seem at the quotation stage . Somehow many clients turn into monsters when its time to pay up ? This written malarky also stops the ( Can you just brigade ) from abusing your services . As another arbtalk member said a while back ( I am happy to quote for any extras ) this is like the 11th commandment for tree workers ; )

Will Check out the sale of goods and services act don't think you ll get anywhere unless you had physically started the works. I am afraid you ll probably have to walk away. But would be worth getting an explanation from the guy who accepted from you so you can make sure there's no bad feeling and you may keep contact and maybe get future work. Unfortunately that's business it will happen to us all at some point and probably more than once. Just don't take it to heart life's to short.

It's probably been said before but I would consider your quote and offer of contract and there acceptance of your quote, acceptance of that offer of contract. This entitles you to a sum of money in payment for what you have lost by the loss of that contract. Not the full amount of the quote but what the job would have made you plus a consideration for any expenses involved in claiming that sum from them.

It is important to note that if they send you a cheque in payment that is for a lesser amount, write to them stating that you accept the cheque in part payment only. Otherwise they may argue that in accepting the lesser amount you accept that that settled the matter

Edited by urbandekay

It's probably been said before but I would consider your quote and offer of contract and there acceptance of your quote, acceptance of that offer of contract. This entitles you to a sum of money in payment for what you have lost by the loss of that contract. Not the full amount of the quote but what the job would have made you plus a consideration for any expenses involved in claiming that sum from them.

It is important to note that if they send you a cheque in payment that is for a lesser amount, write to them stating that you accept the cheque in part payment only. Otherwise they may argue that in accepting the lesser amount you accept that that settled the matter

I agree. Make sure what ever the out come get your final and all business in the form of a purchase order or work order only. You will overcome this one way or another:thumbup1:

easy-lift guy