Felled tree converted to logs in situ - effect on cost?

Sylvia

Question

If I have to get a quote for felling a large beech - [waiting for T.O. decision ] -

I'd like some of it as logs to sit and season - ie tree comes down - aborist chops it in situ on garden to be stacked by us later/.......over next year.......

- logging stops if/when space runs out - arborist removes ?brash/rest - will that be a less attractive/longer job for the arborist and fewer logs to flog?= higher quote price for me - or is it a better deal for an arborist not to have to truck away all wood and will that be cheaper for me?

Is there any point getting 3 quotes?

PS

T.O. says I should ask to see arborist insurance certs before accepting a quote - are they something arborists carry around when quoting on jobs?

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have a shoulder problem which is aggravated by splitting with the maul if I do too much so the other day I saw some 4 ton hydraulic splitters like the Machine Mart ones on ebay for £150 and only about 10 miles from us so I decided to splash out on one. It's not the most powerful thing but I split some unseasoned Oak with it and some well seasoned Birch and it really made the job easy. I think the only way you could kill yourself with it would be to try to swallow it :D

My wife thought it was like a guillotine Before we bought one

Its a reasonably slow moving blade ( more of a blunt axe head really )

That just pushes the log apart

Its very pleasant sitting in the sun splitting a few logs

Logs in bags are typically 10 inches long so tat would be sensible length to specify when getting tree broken down into manageable pieces

If its in rings ( slices across the trunk ) they can be very heavy so you might want those split into two as well

If you get sensible guys to do the tree they will know what you want ......If you tell them your plans

This site is great full of sensible people ........ You might get addicted to log splitting!

To be fair to yourself , and to the guys quoting for the job make sure they are all quoting for the same thing ie ; 1 guy says x amount to leave on site , another to take all away etc ... or get them to quote on multi scenarios , a price to remove all wood , another to cut and split all wood , or take it all away ....

I would knock some off quote if timber was staying. as said only valuable after splitting, seasoning and delivering. if you want them to log it all in foot lengths, depending on the size of tree, loads more mess and clear up time for someone. after a big take down or fell there is always a truck load of sawdust, bark etc

as someone already said make sure everyone is quoting for the same thing. nothing worse than trying to quote when people say we will keep some, don't know how much. so how much do I need to cut, process and dispose of?

fire for the brush and rakings are a good idea to keep the cost down. I think all tree surgeons like a big fire:thumbup1: