Felled tree converted to logs in situ - effect on cost?

Sylvia

Question

If I have to get a quote for felling a large beech - [waiting for T.O. decision ] -

I'd like some of it as logs to sit and season - ie tree comes down - aborist chops it in situ on garden to be stacked by us later/.......over next year.......

- logging stops if/when space runs out - arborist removes ?brash/rest - will that be a less attractive/longer job for the arborist and fewer logs to flog?= higher quote price for me - or is it a better deal for an arborist not to have to truck away all wood and will that be cheaper for me?

Is there any point getting 3 quotes?

PS

T.O. says I should ask to see arborist insurance certs before accepting a quote - are they something arborists carry around when quoting on jobs?

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If I could leave all the wood in big lumps it would be cheaper

Or even better leave it all in 1 lump still stood up haha

Tbh not a lot of money in wood

I would happily take it away but the cost of loading it on to my truck and then delivering it to someone for let's say £50

Save my back save diesel save £50

To take it. Back to yard again

Store it for a yr

Chop it all up

Load it back on

For let's say £100

That's really £50 per move and personally I am not that interested

Yea . Thats it really . Some times I think it would be cheaper for me to phone up the log merchant and get a £100 worth delivered on the drive all split and ready to stack than take away a load of arb wast process , stack , season la de da de da .......

Hi Sylvia

Get them to

1) cut tree into lengths suitable for your fire

2) remove the rest

Then buy cheap( ish) electric logsplitter from ebay ( or hire one )

Split the logs in your own time and stack somewhere dry

If you haven't got somewhere dry, put them on pallets to keep them off thefloor and sheet top over with cheap plastic sheets -- you need someair getting in to let them dry-- will be good firewood by next year

Splitting axes are for he men, they will go at it like lunatics for half an hour and then be knackered ---

Hi Sylvia

Get them to

1) cut tree into lengths suitable for your fire

2) remove the rest

Then buy cheap( ish) electric logsplitter from ebay ( or hire one )

Split the logs in your own time and stack somewhere dry

If you haven't got somewhere dry, put them on pallets to keep them off thefloor and sheet top over with cheap plastic sheets -- you need someair getting in to let them dry-- will be good firewood by next year

Splitting axes are for he men, they will go at it like lunatics for half an hour and then be knackered ---

Thats ok aslong ss the tree aint anything of a size, a big tree I will change for logging up, more time on site more fuel and loads more saw shavings to tidy up .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Arbtalk mobile app

Thanks for great insights - I'll be able to ask better questions/more understanding when I'm getting quotes - I guessed what logs cost to buy retail is no guide because so much work goes into getting them into a state where we can burn them - I've wanted a logburner for a while after staying in a gite in the Pyrenees - I swear you could get 10 foot logs in it - massive -

this looks like a bit of a silver lining if the old beech has to come down but I try to see the other person's point of view.

My only acquaintance with logsplitters was in Last Tango in Halifax on the telly - a farmer committed suicide with one ??????