firewood in france

borderfirewood

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, a stere...........

A stere is 1 cubic meter of logs cut to 1 meter lengths, 0.8 of a cubic meter if 50cm, 0.7 cubic meters if cut to 33cm and 0.6 cubic meters if cut to 25cm.

The price should remain the same per stere, the lower quantity reflects the increased work in cutting shorter lengths.

40 euros per stere would be classed cheap in Normandy and super cheap in Brittany. I think 55-65 a stere here at the moment.

Some DIY stores are selling at the equivalent of 90euros a stere on a pallet with 1.3mcube cut to 33cm.

You can cut it with a permit in local forests here near Rennes for around 26euros per stere (50cm logs)

But THEN you've got to haul it out and get it home...

Ty

Ok, a stere...........

A stere is 1 cubic meter of logs cut to 1 meter lengths, 0.8 of a cubic meter if 50cm, 0.7 cubic meters if cut to 33cm and 0.6 cubic meters if cut to 25cm.

The price should remain the same per stere, the lower quantity reflects the increased work in cutting shorter lengths.

40 euros per stere would be classed cheap in Normandy and super cheap in Brittany. I think 55-65 a stere here at the moment.

Thanks so much.:001_smile:

ok.

but whats their bulk/loose filled price

stere is neatly stacked logs

most merchants trucks deliver with compartmentalized loose filled bulk logs.

heres one that does differentiate ,,SMBC vend Bois bûches à Livraison toute France Bois de chauffage - Lemarchedubois.com

look through more suppliers,and the guys do dumpy bags too,,55-85 E.

same price as here really....

Hi, the French regularly sell their firewood in one metre lengths, stacked a metre high then banded (1 cubic metre) commonly called a stere, my mate lives in the Dordogne, he has to store it 50 metres from the house and if it stays there fore more than one summer, he must spray it for termites so that his house doesn't get infested.

Hi,

Looks like you are just the other side of Niort, not that far away from us, we are near Fontenay le Comte.

40 Euros a stere is very cheap, so it depends what type of wood & how old it is & if that is delivered.

If its any comparison we pay 60 Euros a stere for winter felled oak, delivered in August, but it is very good quality.

N

In my opinion, this is where the rest of Europe embarrases the Uk. Europe does not sell airspace to their customers!

As outlined above:-

A Stére is an "Official European measurement of cut wood" in France. It is One Cubic metre cut for firewood purposes. It is "tightly packed" and not a "loose firewood bundle" normally associated with the UK way of bundling firewood.

The French buy their wood in "Stére bundles" of 1m x1m x1m or "Cordes" which is 3m x 3m x 1m" closely hand packed. The customers do NOT pay for the "air" that the UK customers do!

If you look at firewood for sale on sites like "www.Alibaba.com" you will see 1m lengths stacked properly on crates. This is how the world (outside UK) buys and sells firewood. (Closely packed).

In my experience the UK is the only place in Europe where "Loose firewood" (unregulated) thrown into a trailer or "one of the various Big-Bags" has a market. You are hoodwinking your customers. [or at least trying to hoodwink them]

(In a previous thread I outlined the dangers of firewood suppliers relying on the UK not having a regularity system!)

As a firewood supplier you might begin to appreciate, and educate your costumers more.

Food for thought.

I am not attacking the UK---I AM you guys who sell 1 cubic metre [Loose] as 1m3.

1 m3 is a Stére --tightly packed.

There is no such thing as a loose UK "Lorry Load, Trailer Load, tonnage or Kgs..................We need to work in unison with what the customer wants.

I, personnally think that "Packed M3 + Stéres and Cordes" are the way to go!