Think beyond next winter!

Llenya

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What bothers me is that farmers/landowners will strip out every tree for biomass cash.....

Not just from woods but also from verges, field edges , odd corners etc

Every tree will have a price on its head....

no death duties on forests so they wont remove everything

Edited by Logsnstuff
forests I mean

At the risk of sounding thick what are you guys describing as pulp or pallet???!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Pulp is small diameter goes for chip 2m 3m lengths

Pallet is larger as name implies goes for milling into pallets short boards 2.5m

then your logs 3.8m 4.2m 4.9m etc

only ever seen hardwood pulp referred to as cord on this site.

What bothers me is that farmers/landowners will strip out every tree for biomass cash.....

Doubtful , as the entry level stewardship subsidy is payed on a points basis , trees are worth points,

a tree growing in the middle of a field is worth more than one in a hedge and so on

if you dont have plenty points you can let trees grow on, have a look at the road side hedges and you can often see sapplings left to grow

,on what would otherwise be a table top hedge

Why on earth would there be any kind of legislation regarding firewood?? Standard volume? Assume this is already m3, moisture content? Any reputable merchant sells seasoned logs anyway! Honestly cannot foresee a day where firewood is regulated. Unless I have the wrong end of the stick! Or log :-D

Why on earth would there be any kind of legislation regarding firewood?? Standard volume? Assume this is already m3, moisture content? Any reputable merchant sells seasoned logs anyway! Honestly cannot foresee a day where firewood is regulated. Unless I have the wrong end of the stick! Or log :-D

you have to define seasoned that's the issue, a log left in the round for 18 24 months can still be 35%+mc but some merchants will sell it as seasoned on the time it's lay there rather than sticking a moisture meter in it, so someone will eventually have to set a standard % for seasoned some say 20 others 25 at the moment also too many people still sell ton loads based on the payload of the delivery vehicle rather than on volume or the actual weight of the load. I'd say its inevitable that some form of regulation will come in the future.

...and if it was offered to you as free firewood you wouldn't take it ?

I was thinking the old integrated farm where they planted up the odd corner for trees because the boss liked a bit of roughshooting and they would also come in for fence posts is disappearing

When we moved here 25 years ago an economical farm was about 100 acres, then it moved to 400 acres, don't know what it is now 600 acres? upland farming is in a mess across the whole of the EEC so governments will at some point have to do "something about it"

experience suggests they will go the agri business way.....

The small family farm is morphing into an agri business where what matters is £££££

The forestry Is pure agri business, if they can get a few quid for letting landrovers chew up the tracks they take it, if farms go the same way then if farms an get ££££ for chopping down roadside trees they will take it....