Petzl sequoia buckle serious failure

T159

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wouldn't actually be petzls call whether it was /is fit for use. If it complies with the relevant EN standard it is . It's also likely that the part is supplied by a third party and any quality control problem is theirs and not petzls

The difference between an EN standard and, for example, the BS (Bristish Standard), so far as I understand it, is that compliance with the EN standard is certified by the manufacturer whereas the BS is tested and certified by an independent laboratory. The highest profile case of the ability of a manufacturer to shortcut/abuse/cheat/lie (choose most applicable) the EN system is the PIP breast implant scandal. The EN clearly stated the standard required, the manufacturer claimed to have met the standard but knowingly and fraudulently used sub-standard components with devastating effect. There's no suggestion this might be the case here with such a respected brand name, it's just offered as an observation that might inform understanding of the difference between EN and BS standards. EN is equivalent to marking your own homework.

The difference between an EN standard and, for example, the BS (Bristish Standard), so far as I understand it, is that compliance with the EN standard is certified by the manufacturer whereas the BS is tested and certified by an independent laboratory. The highest profile case of the ability of a manufacturer to shortcut/abuse/cheat/lie (choose most applicable) the EN system is the PIP breast implant scandal. The EN clearly stated the standard required, the manufacturer claimed to have met the standard but knowingly and fraudulently used sub-standard components with devastating effect. There's no suggestion this might be the case here with such a respected brand name, it's just offered as an observation that might inform understanding of the difference between EN and BS standards. EN is equivalent to marking your own homework.

You have a far greater knowledge of the details than me (obviously ) but the point I was trying to get across is that it isn't petzl who decides whether the harness , as a whole , is fit for purpose, but a regulatory body who reaches that decision . Admittedly my knowledge is sketchy but I think I'm broadly correct in my understanding

Thanks guys.

Most likely a bad batch, but a bad batch of harnesses isn't a good thing.

At the point I noticed it, the buckle was under tension, had I leaned forward and weight had came off of it, it would have opened and the waist belt would have dropped down, not idea at 70feet, so quite serious in my opinion.

Mmmm? Had the buckle failed and you leaned forwards the harness should not have dropped down, unless you were free climbing with slack in the rope, as we all know you should not do for serious safety reasons.

I think it quite likely with the number of harnesses they've produced, they must have come across this before. IMO a vital part of a climbing harness, such as the waist buckle, should never be able to fail, which is why a lot of harness's have threaded buckles.

Also, why are petzl using plastic for their buckles, when the designed the am'd ball lock karabiner with a plastic gate, that isn't fit for professional use, surely then a plastic harness buckle, or at least the key pieces of the harness buckle isn't fit for use??

Wild speculation online. What evidence have you based this opinion on?

Surely you would like Petzl to be your friend through this process, not think of you as a trouble maker.

Just saying.

Wild speculation online.

Justifiable concern for other sequoia users

Surely you would like Petzl to be your friend through this process, not think of you as a trouble maker.

I actually really liked the harness, and have use a lot of petzl equipment in and outside of arb, I'm not trying to cause them any more trouble that what they already have, I'm just making sure other users are aware of what has happened, so it doesn't happen to anyone else, fair enough I think.

Had the buckle undone, which it could easily have done during any movements involved with tree climbing and pruning, and had I sat back expecting support, then it wouldn't have been there.

We're talking about a harness buckle failure, not wether or not I'm following good climbing practice, which a was at the time, hence why I survived.