Forestry industry safety accord updates (FISA)

TreeAb

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fisa was created because HSE said the FORESTRY industry must self regulate its safety or it was going to come down hard (as hard as then have done on the building industry) so judging by its feable attempts at the moment it will be hard hats and hi viz for all of the foresters in the country

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Arbtalk mobile app

Hi there,

I don't believe this to be correct, certainly not in light of my conversations with HSE enquiring whether a 'precedent' had been set for the arb industry (thankfully the answer was 'NO' in respect of mandatory chainsaw refreshers BUT it does highlight the issue of refresher / update training generally.)

It is my understanding that it is the Forest Industry sector themselves, and nothing to do with HSE, who have collectively decreed that refresher training will be mandatory given their poor accident / incident rate.

REMEMBER also the refresher training you receive will need to be via FISA to be accepted on FI sector land and Lantra won't be accepted...I don't believe. The current problem seems to be accessing the FISA specific training as they're trainer network is quite variable nationally.

Hoping this to help in clarifying the situation...a little. :001_huh:

Cheers all..

Paul

Hi there,

I don't believe this to be correct, certainly not in light of my conversations with HSE enquiring whether a 'precedent' had been set for the arb industry (thankfully the answer was 'NO' in respect of mandatory chainsaw refreshers BUT it does highlight the issue of refresher / update training generally.)

It is my understanding that it is the Forest Industry sector themselves, and nothing to do with HSE, who have collectively decreed that refresher training will be mandatory given their poor accident / incident rate.

REMEMBER also the refresher training you receive will need to be via FISA to be accepted on FI sector land and Lantra won't be accepted...I don't believe. The current problem seems to be accessing the FISA specific training as they're trainer network is quite variable nationally.

Hoping this to help in clarifying the situation...a little. :001_huh:

Cheers all..

Paul

that is why i put in bold font Forestry

i have heard the a number nptc accessors have been appling to fisa and have not been approved as fisa accessors due to a lack of harvesting experiance this is because they basically do arb work

HSE were behind it I thought as per:

UK FISA - The Forest Industry Safety Accord

"you sort it or we'll do it for you"...

Yes, arbs with no forestry / timber experience as you say; there are no fisa assessors south of exeter (yet).

As far as refresher training goes it is only a strong recommendation by HSE that a semi professional user should be every 3 years ans a professional user should be every 5 years how ever you are best to check your insurance as you may well find it's void if your competency levels are not refreshed at the above timings.and yes fisa refresher is only for commercial forestry and the FC /FI will not accept lantra

We were all dragged into a meeting on health and safety a few years ago. In the eyes of the HSE the paper chain on accidents within the industry is very poor. Because of this they see the industry as high risk on paper ,there are virtually no reported accidents,incidents or injuries logged and suddenly there is a death. RIDDOR rep in the meeting said they would expect to see something in the order of 10,000+ reported injuries/accidents before a fatality occurred. Accident,injuries and near misses should be written up no matter how small, this would then help insurers etc to see the industry in a different light.

Bob

Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 - RIDDOR - HSE

that is why i put in bold font Forestry

Yeah, sorry, my point is I don't believe HSE are behind it, it is the industry themselves who have both identified the need and introduced it. Nothing to do with HSE.

And as you quite rightly say it's the FORESTRY sector and not ARB.

Cheers..:thumbup1:

Paul