Bio chainsaw Oil: Oregon Arborol Plus

Stere

Anyone using this & if so is it any good. Seems very cheap but there must be some catch. (apart it from the freezing bit)

I googled it but can't find any feeback from people who are actually using it etc.

For sale @ F R Jones and Son

http://http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products-page/oregon/oils-lubricants-and-cleaners/oregon-arborol-plus-bio-degradable-5-litre-chain-oil/

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The logging company that I service saws for in SW France have to use bio oil when cutting on any non private land they have used Arborol which is mixed with water 25% oil /75% water which produces a milky liquid. if you are not using your saw/s every day I would suggest you drain out the Arborol & run through a small amount of ordinary chain oil to prevent the possibility of rust forming. the bars seemed to run cooler & there did not seem to be any more wear on bar/chain than when using standard bar oil. The cost here is only comparable if buying in quantities of 4 or more litres, but the usage involved here makes that OK. however we have now sourced a bio, oil only, at a cheaper price than the Arborol so we have stopped using it

I almost always use bio but if the saws are idle for a month or two, you have to free the chains up manually before starting up as they have become 'stuck' to the bar. This has happened with Oregon and latterly Husky bio.

Has anyone else had these problems? I'm thinking of using normal cooking oil as it's cheaper and most who use it say it's fine. Probably wouldn't be any more of a problem than my current bio?

Never had that problem with chains sticking, I have been mixing normal bio with rapeseed oil though so it still has some tacking agent and the results on long bars have not been too good, lots of heat and chain stretch , if it was pure rape seed I image the problem worse but it could be an oil issue on the 395.

I have been using Arborol almost exclusively for Husq 346s 357, 455, 181 Stihl 271, 230. Never a problem. After sitting for a while in the saw it looks awful but the saw vibrations turn it back into a smooth emulsion almost right away. Also never freezes on me, if anything the oil tank is usually steaming a little. Definitely cools the bar. Officially it's a 1:5 dilution but I usually use it at 1:3.

Ridiculously cheap, you can carry 5L in the truck, and that's got you 30L anywhere there's clean water.

I've never had a stuck chain with it.

I have been using Arborol almost exclusively for Husq 346s 357, 455, 181 Stihl 271, 230. Never a problem. After sitting for a while in the saw it looks awful but the saw vibrations turn it back into a smooth emulsion almost right away. Also never freezes on me, if anything the oil tank is usually steaming a little. Definitely cools the bar. Officially it's a 1:5 dilution but I usually use it at 1:3.

Ridiculously cheap, you can carry 5L in the truck, and that's got you 30L anywhere there's clean water.

I've never had a stuck chain with it.

Sorry if I'm being a bit slow.....so you dilute bio with water?..............

Just been on Oregon website....all is clear!

Edited by corylus