Cutting out the middleman...

Ty Korrigan

I'm totally kicking myself:sneaky2:

Quadchip needing a bearing, I put it into the dealership for them to sort out.

It will be A WEEK! A CHUFFING WEEK! before we get it back.

I could have got Pete at G.M to send one DHL 24hrs to France.

The dealer has still not taken delivery of the bearing 4days after putting the machine in never mind actually fixing it!

It's not the dealers fault, it's the fact there is another link in the supply chain who just are not up to speed.

The dealer won't/can't call G.M because of the language issue and I am annoyed at myself for not thinking of this and getting them to ask ME to order the part.

The dealer want's to make a mark-up on the part (Oh woopy doo) I understand but WE need the machine back on the road 'tout de suite'

By the way, it's not the fault of the Quadchip the bearing went.

The machine has been stored outside in heavy weather and although the bearing is greased every 40hrs that is obviously not enough and the interior fills with water.

The pipe feeding the bearing had split at some point and the grease just was not getting to the bearing. By the time I had found the split pipe and replaced it, the bearing was already on it's way out.

Service and technical backup from G.M is excellent, I just wish I had ordered the part myself...BLEH!:blushing:

Ty

The dealer has still not taken delivery of the bearing 4days after putting the machine in never mind actually fixing it!

It's not the dealers fault, it's the fact there is another link in the supply chain who just are not up to speed.

The dealer won't/can't call G.M because of the language issue and I am annoyed at myself for not thinking of this and getting them to ask ME to order the part.

The dealer want's to make a mark-up on the part (Oh woopy doo) I understand but WE need the machine back on the road 'tout de suite'

The machine has been stored outside in heavy weather and although the bearing is greased every 40hrs that is obviously not enough and the interior fills with water.

The pipe feeding the bearing had split at some point and the grease just was not getting to the bearing. By the time I had found the split pipe and replaced it, the bearing was already on it's way out.

Service and technical backup from G.M is excellent, I just wish I had ordered the part myself...BLEH!:blushing:

Ty

I've noticed this sort of thing more and more just recently.

A fella I do some work for imports pumps from Italy. These aren't any super duper pumps! The lead time is supposed to be one week, but its often up to six weeks from placing the order to taking delivery. Hence he tells his customers there is a six week lead time.

It's no wonder that some parts of Europe are in such a financial mess!

Fortunately having the chipper off the road will not lose us any work as we have a great variety of jobs to cherry pick from.

The yard has some brash brought back and other jobs have the space for chipping on a return visit.

We are now booked solid until early April and if certain other quotes come in possibly until May!:001_cool:

20140214_154342.jpg.282843304b5ea47aed0b8e7ae98b2f98.jpg

Ty

Hi

Sorry to hear your dilemma, but I think you've answered your question in placing the order yourself. You're not alone if finding delivery to France frustrating, when ever we order anything we say, will it be:

1. Dumped in the front garden

2. A note in the mailbox stating delivery attempted then they only return to our area on Tuesdays so you have to wait a week

3. Not able to find any trace of delivery when you enquire about the package & promise to call back but never do

That said, most stuff arrives without too much grief, tend to wait for a return trip to UK for important purchases & order stuff that fits in the mailbox from Amazon!

hope you get it fixed anyway, good to see you have a nice lot of work in hand

N

Edited by NFG

I've noticed this sort of thing more and more just recently.

A fella I do some work for imports pumps from Italy. These aren't any super duper pumps! The lead time is supposed to be one week, but its often up to six weeks from placing the order to taking delivery. Hence he tells his customers there is a six week lead time.

It's no wonder that some parts of Europe are in such a financial mess!

Hi Eggs

Italy - says it all really, the French have a two hour lunch break but the Italians dont really do afternoons:biggrin:!

N

Fortunately having the chipper off the road will not lose us any work as we have a great variety of jobs to cherry pick from.

The yard has some brash brought back and other jobs have the space for chipping on a return visit.

We are now booked solid until early April and if certain other quotes come in possibly until May!:001_cool:

I think you need more staff!! :thumbup:

Hello Pete,

I do and they know it too!

I had already called Peter Parts at G.M to verify that the bearing was in stock and would have thought the dealer would have done the obvious and called G.M France if they knew not the bearing serial number or asked me to order it. Instead they used their regular source of bearings who don't have it in stock and don't seem to be pressed to obtain one!

The dealership are all round good eggs, it's not their fault they don't speak English but they have my number and know I speak to G.M regularly.

Today at 14:00hrs and tomorrow we are on storm damage work at a local manoir. The brash can be stacked for later chipping. Make me want to buy a second chipper for our tractor...

Also, I am going to grease this one bearing daily if raining and weekly otherwise to prevent this happening again.

Ty

So, just to see if I understand: Your chipper is broken, but it's not the chipper's fault because the part of the chipper that is broken broke because another part on the chipper had broken a while before that?:confused1:

And just to be clear I have no opinions on chippers and find your loyalty to your machine endearing, it's just your explanation that baffles me.:001_smile:

Probably, I'm verging on mania dealing with clients, storm damage and business issues.

I had previously called G.M for spare parts and received them in 48hours overseas as I am.

The dealer takes a week so even receive a part.

I wish G.M ran courses on in depth chipper maintenance...:001_rolleyes:

Ty