Is it worth self repairing?

RuperraCled

I have a Husqvarna 357xp that's been to our local repair place; their verdict is that the cylinder is scratched and requires a new one. They reckon, all in, it will cost around 200 to 300 quid. Reluctant to pay this for a saw that's spent quite a bit of time with them over the last year with various problems.

So, my question is, if I take this on myself, what's the minimum tool kit I would need to service it and replace the cylinder? (I was thinking of buying a cylinder kit on ebay from tesgol.) I've managed to get a copy of the service manual and there's a long list of tools in there that are expensive. Do I need them all?

Also, I have no experience of this sort of thing whatsoever, beyond the basic maintenance included in the CS30 course! I've done loads of research online, including on here (especially, reading the "What's on your bench? thread), but that's just book-learnin', not real knowledge. Should I leave this alone, as we have other saws.

By the by, this is my first post!

Cled

but is it?:sneaky2: I got my 3120 for free! because the dealers took it to bits said nah no trade in for that the cylinders shot, been seized so I said to the boss well if you don't want it and he don't want it i'll take it, gave it a clean stuck it back together and its run like a dream ever since! just they couldn't be arsed with it and just wanted full whack for a new saw!

Scored barrel or piston seems to be catch all for incompetence. We had a 66 back from a repair company once and they said it had a scored barrel.

We'd sent it back after they'd botched a carburettor repair. After a week of hearing nothing I went over there to see and with the exhaust off it looked like they'd stuck a screwdriver in and pulled it over a few times to scrape the piston. I had a few words, but couldn't prove anything. They no longer trade BTW.

Just have a go fixing it yourself- not much to lose and perhaps plenty to learn/gain.

I would never spend 300 quid to get a saw like that fixed, you can buy a new equivalent for less than 600. I would however be prepared to spend a day or two of my time and perhaps 80 quid in parts to fix it, as your gaining experiance and a repaired saw in the process.

Mend it you will need only a few tools.

A set of allen wrenches will get you a long way, screwdriver, pliers, small socket set or nut drivers.

Should be in your tool kit anyway.

Give it a go post pictures, spud will advise if the bore is saveable.

H-A

Once you do one you'll be able to do more, you've got to remember most people on here haven't had sthil or husky maintenance/repair training they just have a go and learn whilst taking it apart by doing that will give you invaluable and money saving experience. Honestly it's a small machine with a piston and a carb on top don't be intimidated