Honda HRD535 QX mower

Timbur

Just a quick one to those in the know;

Is the above as capable as it looks?

I'm after a mower for medium sized lawns and I need a roller for some of my more sniffy customers :o)

I been offered one for around £200 and it looks tidy enough. There are a few knocks to the side of the deck but it runs well.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Tim

I ran 2 x 536 QXE for 10 yrs, they do a good job if a bit heavy approx 55 kilos, make sure the lawns not flooded or you will go plowing. Check adjusment on the cables and oil reguarly, clean plug, sharpen blade, change oil, clean air filter thats about it. Keep the bag clean and tidy as a replacement bag is £70.00 The price of £200 seems good have seen them £500-£600.

Hondas are brilliant mowers, that does sound cheap at £200. They do suffer w ith gearbox problems though, if you try it and it makes a lot of clicking noises on engaging drive be cautious.

I have replaced mine with a Hayter,which is chain driven, less to go wrong i hope !

The Hayter is only part chain driven.

The drive from the engine is by twin V belts to a gearbox. The belts need regular changing (cheap and easy)and the gearboxes are prone to internal clutch wear. As they are a sealed unit there is only one option if they fail ( easy but not cheap)

Hondas are brilliant mowers, that does sound cheap at £200. They do suffer w ith gearbox problems though, if you try it and it makes a lot of clicking noises on engaging drive be cautious.

I have replaced mine with a Hayter,which is chain driven, less to go wrong i hope !

Are you me? :confused1:

Have two Hondas - brilliant overall reliability and ease of use - but..those gearboxes :thumbdown:

Now use a Hayterette for anything rough or tough then finish with a Honda.

So far so good :001_smile:

The gearboxes are actually very robust, but the clutch consists of a steel 'dog clutch'

Any dog clutch will wear on the corners if not fully, and quickly engaged. So to get the best life out of the clutch, Honda state in their owners manual " engage the clutch firmly and quickly"

The older manuals even stated to push the mower forward before engaging the clutch, thereby allowing the clutch to engage without 'ratcheting' (and thus wearing)

This 'push before engaging' method will greatly extend the life of the transmission on any mower.

The gearboxes are actually very robust, but the clutch consists of a steel 'dog clutch'

Any dog clutch will wear on the corners if not fully, and quickly engaged. So to get the best life out of the clutch, Honda state in their owners manual " engage the clutch firmly and quickly"

The older manuals even stated to push the mower forward before engaging the clutch, thereby allowing the clutch to engage without 'ratcheting' (and thus wearing)

This 'push before engaging' method will greatly extend the life of the transmission on any mower.

You're right - I should have been more specific - it's always the clutches. Thanks - we'll try the 'firm and quick method' :blushing: or for the 'push and engage method' I'll get a midwife to give me a demo :nurse:

Hi When I started out I never took to hayter with old B&S engines so have used Hondas for last 25 years now have 4 wheel version and the roller type for customers that need stripes. Like previous posts they are heavy. Now have to run 'em up ramps! But they do the job not cheap new £200 is cheap so check it out properly I once bought a bargin for £150 it lasted 3 months before gearbox and clutch plates went. Check ali deck has no fracture cracks along bottom edge or in deck and see if any play in blade clutch hope this helps.